Coffee's a Cup of Liquid Sanity (Thirty-Nine)

Just as she finished up with Pamela, who was a regular Thursday customer, a co-worker informed Sonny that she had a call. Ending her conversation with Pamela and telling her that she would see her next week, she washed the oil off her hands before heading into the break room. Bringing the phone to her ear, she pressed the correct button on the third try, and uttered an exasperated hello.

"Hey there. Are you okay?"

Instantly knowing whom the caller was, Sonny smiled. "Yes, I'm fine. I just always have trouble getting this phone to work properly. It looks like a switchboard." When Jack chuckled so did she. "So, what's up? By the way, Isaac said to tell you again that he enjoyed our dinner date the other night. As did I. It was a lot of fun."

"Yes, it was. We'll have to do it again sometime. Now, I was wondering if you would be interested in having lunch with me today."

Glancing toward the clock on the wall, Sonny noted that it was almost twelve, which meant she had about an hour before her lunch break started. "Sure. That would be nice. My lunch break is at one. Could you meet me somewhere near here?"

"Don't they have a restaurant at the resort? We could eat there if you like."

"That's perfect. If we dine there, I can use my employee discount. So, I'll see you at one?" Looking up, Sonny waved and smiled as she saw her twelve o'clock appointment walking by.

"Can't wait. See you soon."

~~~~~~~~~~

Aiming her fork at Sonny's Caesar salad, Jack speared a bit of lettuce and a rather plump piece of chicken. Depositing it into her mouth, she munched happily, smiling sweetly at the smirk directed toward her.

"Are you enjoying my food?" Sonny good-naturedly inquired.

Running her tongue along her upper lip, Jack didn't miss the look of desire that quickly passed across Sonny's face. While a grin tugged at her mouth, Jack nodded. "Yes, your food is very good." She offered her friend some of her hamburger, Sonny shook her head deciding to just stick with her chicken salad. Taking a big bite out of her double meat hamburger with one hand, Jack attempted to steal another piece of chicken with the other but retracted her fork when a soft palm gently slapped her away. Sticking her bottom lip out, she pretended to pout. Sonny laughed.

"Why didn't you just get a salad to go along with your greasy burger and fries?"

Jack snorted. "Like you don't ever enjoy a greasy burger. I don't know why you just got a salad for lunch." She glanced around the female laden restaurant before returning her attention to her companion. "Who are you trying to impress?"

Sonny smirked. "I'm not trying to impress anyone." She pointed her fork accusingly at the other woman, though there was a hint of a smile on her face. "Because of you and my calorie loving family, I've gained two pounds in the last week."

Jack looked quite pleased after learning that tidbit. "Good. We were saying that you needed to gain weight. You had been losing, remember?" Concerned eyes trailed up and down Sonny's body. "You could stand to gain a few more pounds too. I mean you look great, but a few more pounds wouldn't hurt."

Touched, Sonny reached over and briefly squeezed Jack's hand. "Thank you for caring, and I am trying to gain, I just don't think eating high calorie food is the way to make it happen. It's not nutritious."

"So, after two servings of lasagna from Tuesday, and a couple of fried chicken breasts last night, today you're making a change in your eating habits?" Jack laughed when she had a tongue stuck out at her in reply.