Part 2 - Introducing Emil

Emil's point of view

I haven't been an angel for a long period of time. About one hundred years now,to be precise. And amongst the other angels I am considered to be young.

I have only been the guardian angel of one person,before Ellie,an elderly widow. She was good to me and I excelled at my job of protecting her.

Linda,was her name. She passed on about three years ago. I've been 'jobless' ever since. I loved Linda. Not love-love,well you get the idea. I cared about her. She was indeed a nice old lady.

26th of October 1998

I was floating around on a marshmallow like cloud,minding my own business when one of my superiors came up to me.

I made a slight bow out of respect and smiled as he greeted me. He handed me a chart and a picture of a new born baby girl named Elizabeth but her biological parents called her Ellie.

I smiled as I viewed her picture.

"Her parents recently left her on someone else's doorstep," my superior informed me.

"Why?" I inquired,curious.

"We don't know. But the people she is left with aren't good people. They lack love and you know how we feel about the concept of love."

"I understand, sir. So when do I begin?" I asked looking at her picture.

"We will inform you of that as soon as possible," he let out a sigh,letting his wings hang a bit.

7 years later ...

For seven years I've waited. Seven very long years. I did not quite understand why I had to wait so long,but I was patient.

One,sunny,morning I was sitting in the Heavenly garden by the Evershining pools,when the same angel from before flew up to me.

His name was Aaron. You see we angels,unlike humans,are only given names. We do not possess surnames. His feet touched the ground as his wings flapped to a close.

"Congratulations,Emil,your duty officially starts today," he slightly smiled.

"Thank you Sir. Where do I go?" I asked polite.

"You are to use the portal below the Heavenly staircase. That is your gateway to earth and more specifically to her."

"Much obliged Sir," I bowed my head slightly.

"Need I remind you of the rules?" Aaron arched his dark brow at me.

"No,sir. Thank you."

With one clap of his wings,he flew off. Aaron was one of the highest ranking angels in Heaven. He had golden coloured wings and silver hair. A rather stern demeanor but deep down he was kind.

I went to the portal and I descended from the sky. Where I landed near a cornfield. In the distance I spotted a blue car. The rays of the sun bouncing off of it causing an invisible ripple in the air.

I made sure nobody saw me before I walked up to the back of the blue car. Inside I heard quiet sobbing and whimpering.

"Ellie," I called out her name,but she did not answer.

I noticed the sobbing stop and something hit the inside of the trunk. I scanned the trunk to find it had been locked. Damn these people!

"Ellie,it's going to be alright," I said to her in a calm voice.

She did not answer the second time 'round either. Using my angel-like abilities, I magically unlock the trunk with a simple touch.

"You can come out now," I said looking at the trunk.

She pushed open the trunk and that's when I first laid eyes on her,well besides the picture.

A seven year old girl. Looking up at me,innocent,with teary hazel eyes. Her light brown hair messy and some of it hanging over her eyes. I felt my heart crack beneath my ribs at the sight of her.

She was squinting her eyes as if trying to see and she used her other hand to seemingly block out some kind of light. Taking her hand I pulled her from the trunk and onto her feet.

I spread out my wings a bit to show her I'm an angel of course. I warmly smiled at her before using the tips of my wings to dry those tears from her eyes.

For a moment I peered into her eyes and regret filled me on the inside. I suddenly wished I had come sooner and to have been with her from the start,but even I cannot undo time.

I introduced myself to her as Emil. She pouted and asked me how I knew her name. I informed her of everything, how I've been watching her and that I was her guardian angel.

The confusion on her face was as clear as day light. But suddenly she hung her head again and tears flowed from her eyes.

I felt my heart crack again. For some reason I couldn't bear to see her this way,even though I hardly knew her.

Bending down on one knee I tried to comfort her,telling her that I will never let them or anyone hurt her again. She just stared at me absentmindedly.

Unfortunately I could not stay long and had to leave. I made her a promise that I would see her again. And she seemed to be enlightened.

I offered her a generous smile before departing. As I walked into the nearby cornfield,I disappeared through the Heavenly portal.

From the moment I met her,my life was changed. I felt an unmeasured joy in my heart,knowing I could protect her. My life had a purpose once more.

I wished I could talk to her everyday. At least,from where I was,I could see her everyday. Most of the time she was unhappy,of course I understood why.

If only I could make her smile more often.

I really wanted to make her smile everyday. But it's policy that,we angels,cannot interfere too much,only when things get really out of hand.

A few days later ...

I sighed,thinking about her,laying on my bed with my white wings spread out.
You are special,Ellie. An angel. I smiled to myself.