Part 16 - A change of heart

Four days later.
Ellie's point of view.

I'm currently standing in front of a judge and jury awaiting my sentence. Never thought I'd be going to jail,though.

"Considering all the facts presented to us you will not be sent to prison nor will you receive a criminal record. By rights you defended yourself. However," the judge pauses.

I hold my breath as I glance over to my mother,who is sitting at the back of the courtroom. Then I look back at the judge.

"It has come to my attention that you've been in an accident and suffered severe head injuries,am I correct?"

"Yes,your honor," I answer with a clear voice.

"All of your colleagues say that you are a rather mild mannered and calm person,however according to a medical expert your violent behaviour might be caused due to the accident," he stops again,adjusting his tiny spectacles.

"Therefore I sentence you to serve a minimum time of six months at a correctional facility," he looks over at me.

Honestly I didn't know what to think or feel. A correctional facility? What am I suppose to do there? My life suddenly feels like one big mess and it's my own fault.

"You will be examined by a therapist and psychologist and if need be your sentence will be extended if they are not satisfied with your behavior, am I understood?"

"Yes,your honor."

"Case dismissed!" He bangs his little hammer two times.

I walked out of the courtroom with my mother. Outside I break down in tears in her arms because there was nothing else I could do.

"It's alright,Ellie," she hugs me tight,"it's not that bad. It could've been worse."

"I know,but everything is such a mess mother," I whimper.

"I know it seems that way now,but look on the bright side. You didn't kill him or things might've been worse."

Later that day ...

Rory's point of view.

I had just finished my last class for the day,Economics. Adjusting my lime green backpack I head for the exit. Stuffing my phone into my pocket,I start walking.

Before I could get lost in my thoughts,I feel someone yank on my right arm. Turning around I realise it's the new girl.

Her name is Stacy

Her name is Stacy. She was a quiet girl,who minded her own business. Stacy is one of only five girls in our Economics class.

"Oh,hello there Stacy," I try my best to smile.

"Hello Rory. Sorry to bother but would you like to go get some coffee with me?" She asks polite.

"I uh guess it's okay," I answer not really feeling up to it.

"Yay! Thank you!" She exclaims excited.

I drove us to a coffeeshop with the name Crazy coffee. I wonder why she suddenly took an interest in me? She usually minded her own business.

"Thanks for driving me," she smiles up at me.

"No problem Stacy," I smile back.

After awhile we order our coffees and some chocolate cake. Strange I actually enjoy her company, but my mind was still drifting to Ellie.

Stacy was talking about our classes when my phone started to vibrate and ring inside my pocket.

"Excuse me," I answer the phone seeing it's aunt Meredith.

"Sorry to bother you,Dear but I thought you should know," she began.

"Know what aunt?"

"Ellie had assaulted a man and was sent to a correctional facility. I dropped her off a few minutes ago," she explains.

"What!? I'm on my way!"

"No,wait we aren't allowed to visit her for the first two months," she goes on.

"Oh,I see thank you for the call," I reply feeling down.

"Not a problem, Dear. Goodbye."

"Goodbye aunt."

I sat down opposite Stacy again but I couldn't concentrate on our conversation. I hid it as best as I could from her.

After coffee I drove her home and went home myself,all I wanted to do was sleep. I wanted to forget aunt Meredith's words.

Did Ellie really assault a man? But why? Those words went round and round my head until I fell asleep.

The following day ...

Emil's point of view.

I arrive at Rory's house after receiving an urgent phone call from him yesterday. Hmm wonder what he wants to talk about?

So,he is a rich boy? Uh,this explains a lot. A two story house and a sporty red Mercedes. Wonder if he bought them or his parents? I gently push the button at the gate.

Not long after the double gate opens and I stroll inside. In the middle of the paved way is a white carved marble fountain.

Rory opens the door and invites me in. His house is so neat every little thing is in its place and every carpet is vacuumed. And his house smells like disinfectant and mints.

"Please sit," he gestures to the black leather couch.

"Thank you," I take my seat.

A butler scurries over and hands me a drink. Wait! He has a butler? Who is this guy,really?

"So why am I here?" I ask.

"It's about Ellie," he sighs.

"She's been sent to a correctional facility for assaulting a man. That's all I know."

"Assault? That doesn't sound like Ellie. Why?"

"I'm not sure,but she needs our support."

"True,but I doubt she wants us around," I point out.

"That might be true,but we've to try," he smiles.

Meanwhile ...

At the correctional facility ...

Ellie's point of view.

It's been one day already and I already feel like cracking. I'm not some crazy lady with violent tendencies. Yet,I'm stuck here. In this hole.

My room smells like feet. It's like the women here don't care about themselves and the men as well.

This is all Rory and Emil's fault. I started to brood over the matter more and more. It began to hung over me like some dark cloud.

If they hadn't fought over me like two dogs over a few pieces of scraps,I wouldn't be here.

Men are garbage.