Part 5 - Emil's secret

6 Years later ...

Emil's point of view ...

I had known Ellie for nine years now to be precise. Now at sixteen years old,she was maturing into a beautiful young woman.

She had not just grown physically but mentally as well. Well,she didn't get much taller though,but don't tell her that. Chuckles.

I was now in my last year of studies at the Angel Academy. In this year I became a fully fledged angel and the perfect engineer,what a relief.

It was a warm,sunny,day. The light of the sun lit up the pillared hallways of the academy casting it's shadow everywhere.

I was making my way to my first class of the day,carrying my laptop with me and a red notebook. A blue bag hung over my one shoulder which I had packed in my lunch and fresh water.

Deep in my own thoughts,I accidentally bumped into another fellow angel. Dropping my notebook in the process. I apologized and he assured me it was fine.

I oriented my blue bag into place and picked up my notebook. As I picked it up,I had noticed a single picture fell out. It was a picture of Ellie.

She was reluctant to take the picture being shy. She ducked and dived my camera that day,but grabbing a pillow she hid her face halfway behind it.
At that moment I captured the perfect picture.

I picked up the picture with a timid smile and continued to my class.

Back on earth ...

Ellie's point of view ...

I was sixteen,well almost. My sixteenth birthday was still one week away. Not that my birthday was anything special, you know.

When you have adoptive parents that loathe your very existence, a birthday is the last thing they will celebrate. Emil always tried to make it special as well as my newly made friends.

It was a Monday around 14:00 pm and there was another hour of school left. I was sitting by the window watching the brown and orange autumn leaves fall from the trees.

Mrs. Fairburne,my English teacher,rambled on and on about the different kinds of tenses and our group projects. Ugh,this was going on forever!

Suddenly before I could fully comprehend the situation, I was forced into my two-man group. Mrs. Fairburne grouped me with the new boy.

He was a tall and thin,nerdy,boy with square framed black glasses. His chocolate brown hair was always messy and his tie hung loosely.

"Hi,my name is Rory," he held out his slim hand.

Well,at least he wasn't shy.

"My name is Elizabeth,but you may call me Ellie," I shook his hand,smiling.

He smiled and shook my hand before letting go. With the tip of his index finger he moved his glasses back up his nose and smiled at me. At least he seemed nice.

Later that afternoon.

The bus dropped me off at the stop,but to my surprise Rory got off as well. I turned around,and adjusted my purple school bag.

"Are you following me?" I asked looking at him.

"Uh,no! Not at all. I uh l-live there," he pointed.

I looked over to see a house,painted white with a black roof. Completed with your standard white picket fence and red and pink flowers growing outside. It was a nice house.

"W-where do you live?" He asked with a shy smile.

"Down the road. It's a fair distance from here," I explained as best I could.

We followed the dirt road until we reached his home. His mom was waiting for him on the porch and waved at us as we approached.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Rory."

"S-see you Ellie."

One week later. May 11th.

Emil's point of view ...

It was Ellie's birthday and I wanted to do something special for her. Even though she always insisted that she hated her birthday. For once I had to make it special. You only turn sixteen once.

I had studied all night the previous night just so I could make her birthday special. It was 15:30 pm when I drank the potion that made my wings disappear,for two hours only.

I put on a red hoodie and ran through the corridors with her present under left my arm.  Shortly after I arrived at the heavenly portal and appeared next to the cornfield.

Not long after my arrival,Ellie arrived but who was that guy with the glasses? Hmm. I hid in between the corn and watched them.

She giggled as she was walking with him to what seemed to be his house. He kept stuttering while talking to her and suddenly he pulled out a single flower and a chocolate bar.

I squinted my eyes as she hugged him and thanked before saying goodbye. When she was far enough away I appeared from the cornfield. She smiled warmly.

"Emil! I'm so happy to see you!" She ran over to me.

I haven't seen her in a week. I opened my arms for a hug and eye smiled.

"Happy birthday,Sweetheart."

She hugged me and thanked me. I told her to close her eyes for me and stay put. I gently placed a flower crown on her head and told her to open her eyes.

She chuckled softly,blushing,and lightly touched it with her left hand. I handed her the wrapped box I had under my arm.

"Emil,you didn't have to," she began but I insisted.

Deep down I hoped that she loves it. She eagerly opened the box,ripping the paper. Inside was a neckless a silver one with her initials on it. She gasped and hugged me.

"Will you hang it around my neck,please?"

"I will be happy to," I helped her to hang it around her neck.

"Thank you,Emil. So much,I love it."

"There is one more thing," I smiled.

"What is it?" She asked keen.

"I'm going to take you out to lunch," I held out my hand to take hers.

"But your wings and they'll see you."

"Look again," I laughed lightly.

"Your wings! They're gone!"

"Only for two hours so we better hurry."

Two hours later ...

It was already dark when we arrived at the farm. I watched her smile and felt warm inside. To be honest I was in love with her,I had been for awhile now.

But I couldn't tell her. Falling in love was against academy rules. So,I was forced to stay quiet but every time I saw her I struggled with my feelings.

"Ellie I -" I wanted to tell her but it would ruin everything.

"Yes?" She looked at me with cheerful eyes.

"Enjoy the rest of your birthday," I offered a timid smile.

"Thank you for everything," she smiled and squeezed my hand.

I guess this is how it's going to be forever? Me struggling with my feelings towards her and Ellie seeing me only as her friend.