Part 6 - Graduation

2 years later ...

Ellie's point of view.

It was graduation day,finally. I've officially turned eighteen and got my drivers license. This was the day I was praying to see my entire life.

This was the day I will finally be free. The ceremony was to take place right after 13:00 pm in the school hall. We,me and my friends,have been preparing all day.

I felt somewhat left out when their parents started showing up but I still felt happy. After this,I could finally begin a new life.

My mind wandered to Emil for a moment. I wonder what he was doing and whether he would miss the ceremony. With a light shrug I placed the black ceremonial hat on my head and straightened out my robes.

A few hours later ...

I graduated top of my class. I smiled wide as they read out all my achievements and the camera flash that blinded me. My eyes scanned the entire hall to see if,I could spot Emil,but he was nowhere to be seen.

The ceremony ended around 17:00 pm after which me and my friends went out to celebrate. After a few hours I decided that it was time for me to leave.

I took the midnight bus home and strode through the cornfield to the house. It was very late when I arrived and I did not expect anyone to be up.

Uncaring I entered the house and walked down the narrow hall to my room. I could barely keep my eyes open but I had packing to do.

Almost as soon as I started to pack,I heard a noise in the hall. To be precise it sounded like footsteps heading my way. The door flung open with a loud bang.

My adoptive father entered the room. He smelled of alcohol and cigarette smoke an annoyed expression covered his face.

"What do you think you are doing!?" He yelled from across the room.

"Packing," I answered as calm as possible.

"And where are you going?" He asked fuming.

I gave him no answer but simply continued to pack my things. Unexpectedly he stormed over to me pinning me against the wall by means of my wrists.

"Do you really think you can escape us?" He spat.

I struggled to break free as he had quite a tight grip and being he is a man,stronger than I am. On the inside I was trying to stay calm but it was proving to be difficult.

"Let go of me!" I shouted and pulled free.

But he would not give up so easily and grabbed me again,he slapped me so hard that I fell on the bed. The place where his hand made contact with my cheek was on fire.

"Tomorrow, you will apologise to my daughter!" He yelled in my ear.

I simply looked up at him tears forming in my hazel eyes. He slammed the door shut behind him leaving a crack in the wall. Like hell I was going to say sorry to that bitch.

She flunked and she probably came home and blamed me for it. Well,I won't stand for it,I'm starting a new life. Soon.

The following morning.

Before the rooster even crowed,I had already packed my things. They were so few that everything fit into two boxes. I slammed the trunk shut,got in and drove off.

Never look back. Always keep looking forward.

I continued driving for about six hours until I finally couldn't drive anymore. My emotional state wouldn't allow it.

Tears brimmed in my eyes and my throat felt like it was on fire. I slumped my forehead against the steering wheel,and finally I was able to cry.

Years of abuse was over,finally. I felt so happy yet heartbroken at the same time. My tears dripped down onto my lap and my eyes blurred as I sobbed loudly.

I cried and cried for about fifteen minutes before pulling myself together. The feeling of being alone,however,didn't leave me. It made me feel like there was a consuming black hole deep inside.

I wiped my tears with my sleeve and started the car. Once again I drove off. The warm sun was high in the crystal blue sky,above me.

I drove for another five hours before reaching the city. I left the farm and those people behind,forever. And I never saw them again.

Soon they would be a forgotten memory like some old thing in the back of a dark closet. I sighed heavily after I pulled up in front of the hotel.

I had no idea what I was doing or where I was going,in fact I never thought it through. But the need to escape was so dire.

I booked myself a three night stay at the hotel. They brought my luggage up to my room. In the corner of the room I found a phone book and opened it.

Paging through it,I found an add for a job offering. It was a simple job as a florist but it was a good start. I took out my phone and dialed the number.

20 minutes later ...

I hugged the phone with a smile. I was scheduled for an interview in three days time. But suddenly there was a swift wind and I heard a noise from the open window.

I looked up to see Emil walk in through the window. I frowned as I saw him. He was obviously very happy to see me,but the feeling wasn't mutual.

"Ellie,where were you? I've been looking everywhere for you," he came closer to hug me.

I backed away like a scared mouse,"don't touch me."

"What's wrong?" He asked,his arms falling limp on either side of his body.

"Just keep your distance. You've done enough damage," I said bitter.

The confusion on his face was clear as daylight,but I didn't care. Anger and disappointment built up in me to a point when it started to boil over like a volcano.

"I don't understand,Ellie."

"You weren't there. You let me down again,thank you," I said sarcastic.

"Tell me what happened," he stared at me.

"Oh,now you care? You were so busy that you didn't even see. Well,where do I begin," I tapped my foot impatiently.

"Oh,I know! First of all you missed my graduation and secondly, I got beat again by my adoptive father for no bloody reason!" Angry tears started to brim in my eyes.

Was this it? Had I reached my breaking point with him as well? Only one way to find out.