Part 4 - Heartfelt

Emil's point of view ...

My heart broke at the sight of her state. I closed my wings and took a step closer,reaching out to touch her. But she refused.

She turned away from me,sobbing into the pillow. I glanced down at her back,her shirt hung a bit loosely on her shoulders and a part of her back showed.

I saw bruises of how her adoptive father had beaten her. To be honest the sight horrified me.

"Ellie --" I had no idea what to say to her.

She continued to ignore me for awhile more until the sobbing stopped. Finally,she looked up with swollen eyes from the crying.

"Ellie,I'm sorry. Please forgive me," I blurred out the words.

"You weren't here," she said with her head still turned away.

"I know and I really am sorry. I had things I had to attend to --" I desperately tried to explain, but my words fell short.

"It's fine," she said quickly, drying her tears.

"We both know it's not," I said gently.

She did not answer,so I made a daring move. I gathered up enough courage as I could muster and sat down next to her.

"Feel free to go," she said bitter.

"I don't want to go," I said reaching out to touch her shoulder.

In the three years I've known Ellie,I've never dared to touch her. But I couldn't help myself. The need to hug her was too much to resist.

She turned to me as the tips of my fingers grazed her shoulder,curiously peeping over the pillow. I smiled lightly and she sat up,her eyes still teary.

"W-what are you doing?" She asked looking confused.

I didn't answer her,instead I pulled her into a warm hug. Wrapping my arms around her,I touched the back of her head,holding it to my shoulder.

"You are safe. I've got you," I whispered in her ear.

She held onto me,tightly. Ellie didn't speak much that night,but I didn't mind. All I wanted was to hold her. To comfort her. It's the least she deserved.

One hour later ...

She was peacefully sleeping with her head on my shoulder. I had to admit,I might have gotten into trouble for hugging her. Even though it wasn't against the rules,The Angel Academy,discouraged physical touch.

But I had no idea what else to do? Gently,I laid her down on her bed adjusting the pillow. I opened the window,but before I left,I looked back over my shoulder at her.

"Good night,Ellie."

With an effortless flap of my wings I lifted off into the night sky. I immediately headed to the Heavenly portal and was transported to Heaven.

I ran through the empty corridors and my footsteps echoed through the empty halls. Everything was quiet because everyone was either asleep or busy studying.

I did not want to go to sleep,so I decided that I would stay up and study. Yes,we just like humans,also have schools and an academy we have to attend to.

I was currently in the Angel academy,where I was studying to become an engineer. It was damn hard,I've to admit.

The studies filled my life with so many sleepless nights and anxiety that I lost count and then I had my duty as Ellie's guardian angel as well.

It wasn't always easy. Sometimes I screwed up my priorities, but don't we all? I already felt guilty about disappointing her and I prayed that I did not do it again.

Ellie's point of view ...

I awoke the next day with a yawn and stretch,lazily opening my eyes. Despite the severe beating I got,I slept like a baby.

I suddenly remembered that I don't remember where I fell asleep. Getting out of bed,I lightly touched the bruises on my back. I better make sure to cover this up.

I got dressed for school and readied myself to face my adoptive family. I tied my hair into a neat,long,ponytail and headed downstairs.

As usual,they ignored my existence but I did not care. My adoptive siblings gave me a menacing glare and laughed quietly, knowing well what happened.

The sun had just begun to rose when I stepped out of the door,slamming it behind me. For a moment I took in the orange warmth of the shining sun.

In my mind I vowed that I would be free someday and that no one would have to help me. I'll do it,on my own. I smiled as I walked to where the bus always picks us up.

For some reason,I loved taking a shortcut through the cornfield. High fiving the scarecrow every time I passed him.

I felt a light wind swoop by me and then I saw Emil. He seemed tired,his eyes looked faded and distant as if they lost their sparkle. In fact i assumed he didn't get any sleep.

"Emil,what are you doing here?" I inquired,curious.

"I had to see if you were okay," he said hanging his head.

"Despite everything I am fine,but you don't seem fine?"

He didn't answer me at first. His dark hair was rather messy and the feathers on his wings ruffled,this was so unlike him.

"Emil --," my words were cut short.

"I'm sorry," he disappeared between the corn and I had no time to run after him.

I knew he felt bad for not saving me and in my heart I had not fully forgiven him,yet. But my anger passed the night before and gradually I was starting to feel better.

That's just how life is. You get hurt sometimes,but in the end you have to get up.