Part 7 - High Stakes.

Emil's point of view.

I saw the disappointed look on her face. A faint hand shaped mark still present on her cheek. Angry tears brimmed in her hazel eyes and I felt my entire body go cold.

I hadn't forgotten about her graduation, but I myself was busy with tasks and assignments for my engineering course.

If I hadn't finished those assignments and tasks,my entire career,everything I've worked for would've gone down the drain. Surely,she understands that?

"Ellie will you please calm down," I asked as polite as I could.

She immediately went quiet,the tears still flowing from her eyes and running down her cheeks. I tried to reach for her but she backed away and sobbed into her sleeve.

"Can I please explain?" I asked rubbing the upper part of my arm,nervous.

Where was this going? What is she thinking? And more importantly what have I done? Was it all for nothing?

She didn't even answer me,but I proceeded to try and explain anyway. After all a story has two sides.

"Ellie,I didn't forget your graduation. I was busy with my tasks and assignments. I would never forget something so important on purpose," I began my side.

She continued looking away trying her best not to cry,but she whimpered softly. I could she her heart shattering before my eyes and it was all my fault.

"You must understand that if I skipped out on those assignments,my life's work would be for nothing?" I asked,looking at her.

"Yeah,I get it," she dried her eyes and wiped her nose.

"So,are we okay now?" I asked unsure.

"I want you to go Emil," she said suddenly looking me dead in the eye.

"Go? But I don't want to go," I didn't understand.

My heart suddenly pumped the blood faster through my veins. What did she mean by go? As in leave and never come back? A chill slithered down my spine.

"I want you to go and never come back," she said in a bitter voice.

My worst fear had just become a reality. The day she would leave me has arrived and it's all my fault.

"Please,Ellie,no. I can't leave you," I suddenly came closer but kept my distance.

"I took a beating again and for no reason. You,no matter how busy,could've at least been there to save me. But you chose your career over me. I get it now,I'll never be your first priority," she sat down on the edge of the bed.

I was utterly without words. A dead silence filled the room and outside the beat of the thunder began to sound. A cold wind blew in through the window,fluttering the curtains.

"Ellie, I --" my hand reached for hers.

"Just go Emil. Stay out of my life because you've done enough damage to my fragile heart. It was all I had and you broke it," she looked at me almost disgusted.

For the first time,I saw a side of her I'd never seen before. A cold side. The happiness seemed to leave my soul as I turned on my heals and headed for the window.

"I am sorry," I said as I climbed onto the windowsill and flew off.

Ellie's point of view.

3 days after the incident.

I left the flower shop with a clear smile on my face. Yes,I got the job. Finally I felt like my life was going somewhere, for once. It had been rainy for the past few days. It rained and stopped and rained and then it would stop again.

I felt content as I walked down the steps,in front of the flower shop. My work was to start the day after tomorrow. Suddenly I stumbled over my own feet and dropped the book I was carrying with me.

A picture slid out the of the cover and fell onto the ground. I picked it up and turned it around,to my surprise it was a picture of me and Emil. A sudden sadness came over me.

I felt awful for what I said to him three days ago,but once a woman's heart breaks it can never be repaired. You are probably thinking that I was selfish,but you are wrong.

How do you trust someone who keeps breaking their promises? I've never liked it when people made me promises,anyway. They are things that are meant to be broken.

Worst of all is,I felt so betrayed by someone I trusted. Initially I did not want to trust him with my heart,but I did. And he took an axe and made firewood out of my heart.

I,annoyed,tucked away the photo and made my way back to the hotel. Then the rain started again and I had no umbrella,but I did not care. In the rain I went to sit on a bench,to sulk.

I sat there,somewhat feeling sorry for myself,for about fifteen minutes. Until suddenly something blocked out the raindrops. I looked up to see it was a giant black umbrella hovering over my head.

"Excuse me miss,but I couldn't help -- Ellie?" The voice suddenly stopped.

"Rory?" I looked up to see my old school friend peer at me from underneath the umbrella.

"Is that really you?" He asked surprised.

"Yeah,it is."

"Why are you sitting in the rain?" He asked sitting next to me.

"It's a long story," I said trying to avoid the question.

"Can I at least walk you home?" He asked kind.

"I stay at a hotel. I've only been here a couple of days,but yes,you may," I tried to smile.

He held out his,skinny,hand and pulled me to my feet before walking me back to the hotel. Who would've thought that Rory was such a gentleman? I was baffled.

After a few minutes ...

We arrived at the hotel I was staying at. Rory took off his jacket and hung it around me with a bright smile. He adjusted his glasses once more.

"Take my number,Ellie. If you need me just call me or send me a text okay?" He smiled sweetly.

"Okay,but your jacket? You'll freeze without it," I inquired,feeling rather cold.

"Nah,keep it. I'll get it later. You just keep warm and stay out of the rain," he walked off and waved at me.

I stared at the piece of paper he forced into my hand earlier with his number on it.

How strange life could be. One minute you find yourself crying and alone. The next you find yourself smiling with a friend.