Part 14 - Rory's Past

One month later.
Rory's point of view.

Autumn slowly turned into winter. The weeks that went by felt like an eternity. Each day was painful for me,like a stab wound to the chest. Even the sun seemed to dim and fade.

I felt like I was losing my mind. It was like a darkness crept into every corner of my heart. If I were to lose her,I'd go crazy. I'd lock myself in a dark room and never leave it. This is all our fault to begin with.

Today was my turn to visit her,yesterday was Emil's turn. I walk down the quiet corridor with my hands in my pockets. My mind was lost in thought about her almost everyday.

As quiet as possible I open the door to her room. The room is dark and the lights of the equipment glow green and red in the corner.

I pulled the chair closer and sat down next to her. I watch closely as she gently breaths,her chest moving up and down. I glance over at the dying flowers in the vase next to her bedside.

Standing up I throw them away and empty the vase. To my surprise Lauren shows up with a bouquet of flowers in her hand.

"Hi,Rory," she hugs me,"I'm sorry to hear about Ellie."

"Hello,Lauren and it's okay at least she is slowly recovering."

"We all miss her very much," she sighs.

"That's true," I admit guilty.

"These are for her," Lauren hands me the flowers.

"I'm sure she would love them," I try to smile.

"Well,I've to get back to work," she turns to Ellie,"get well soon,okay?"

I clutch the flowers as I watch Lauren walk out. After she left,I fill up the vase with water and place the flowers inside. I sit down once again.

A few hours later ...

I lazily open my eyes with a groan. I must have fallen asleep? Glancing down at my watch I notice I've been here for hours and it was almost aunt Meredith's turn to watch Ellie.

Adjusting my glasses I get up and rake my fingers through my hair. Sighing,I head for the door but I abruptly stop and walk over to Ellie.

"Please wake up soon," I whisper and kiss her forehead.

A few days later.
Emil's point of view.

For a little more than a month now,Rory,aunt Meredith and I have been taking turns to watch Ellie. The bruise on the side of her face had disappeared. Her broken wrist was almost fully healed as was her fractured rips.

Ellie's brain however is still swollen and it was taking its time to heal. I noted that she looks so peaceful, just laying there. But the guilt was gnawing on my heart everyday.

If we hadn't ignored her then maybe she wouldn't have run outside. But my question is:how did she not notice the red pickup truck or did she purposely run in front of it?

I feel like such a fool for everything I've done to her. I've caused so many heartaches in her life and now this. But to be honest secretly Rory and I continue to blame each other,knowing full well we both are to blame.

I don't want to make this about me,but ever since her accident I've been struggling to sleep and concentrating on my work.

Rory seems to be going through something similar, only he looks worse off than me. I glance over at Ellie who has become thin and a former shell of herself.