CHAPTER 18

I hid my face into Dylan's chest, as he knocked on Chalrie's appartment's door, always holding me tightly onto his arms. My fingers grabbed the soft fabric of his sweater, weakly pulling it.

"One minute, tiger cub." He whispered, concern distinct in his voice. "One more minute, and you will be lying on your cosy bed, resting, okay?"

Unwittingly, I nodded. Yet I didn't want to lie on my bed, nor rest. I wanted to be with him, talk to him, hug with him, kiss him again. Sometimes people when angry or drug, act with far more honesty, trusting only their hearts. That same thing happened to me, when I kissed Dylan. It wasn't something that just happened, I felt it, I needed it!

It was true!

Footsteps echoed from behind the door, and a key turned on the keyhole, my heart beating faster and faster as the door cracked open.

Dylan's limbs became rigid, his breath faster, and sharp, and even though I didn't dare to look, I knew it was him, even before he talked; Boss. "Well, well, look here guys, Romeo and Juliet. Didn't they die in the end?"

Two enormous men, guided Dylan inside and the door locked behind us, causing my blood to freeze. That was bad, really really bad. On the corner of my eye I noticed Charlie sitting on a couch, accompanied by other two guys.

Boss clicked his fingers and a deep voice ordered Dylan to place me on the couch with Charlie. My body was flaring up, then freezing to death, and I almost bit myself so that I wouldn't embrace Dylan's arm and never let it go.

"I think" Boss said, examining Dylan "that we should talk."

"What about?"

The sound of the punch, delivered onto Dylan's ribs, made me clinch in agony, his groans making it even harder for me to stay still.

"My daughter, of course, Scarlett."

Dylan gritted his teeth, his voice barely distinct "I don't belive there is something to say about Scarlett."

Boss paced down the room, stopping every couple of steps to look at Dylan. "I believed so as well, even some hours ago! Then one of my men informed me, that he saw you dragging her in the woods. Of course, I was concerned about my beloved daughter and came here to make sure she was okay." The footsteps stopped. "I think you can imagine how socked I was to find no-one but Charlie in the appartment!"

I shuffled on Charlie's hug, his warm hands stroking my back gently. I knew what was coming and I had to get ready for it. That was the way Boss worked. First the speech, then the lesson as he liked to call it.

The swift sound of a pocket knife made me shudder.

"You seem like a smart boy Dylan, yet I've already warned you about staying away. I have highlighted that I won't do this again. You have no more chances."

I wanted to scream, attack my own father and rip his head off, slit his throat, even pull out his eyes, yet my body wasn't cooperating. No that wasn't what I thought was going to happen. Boss wasn't giving Dylan a lesson, they had already been there. He was going to torture him to death! Just like he did to mum. I couldt let this happen again.

Gathering my strength and courage, I sat up on the couch, pushing away Charlie's help-providing arms. Propping myself up, I walked to my father, everyone's eyes glued on me.

"Oh, sweetheart, you woke up... finally!" Boss mumbled, faking a caring voice. "We thought you weren't okay."

Straightening my back, I pointed to the pocket knife on his hand. "Well, I am feeling splendid, you don't have to... Just let him go."

An expression of fake surprise was plastered on his face, eyes wide-open, mouth hanging down on a sly frown. "Let him go?" He asked, lying back on his chair. "Let him go?" He repeated, releasing a small chuckle. "No, no, no. I've already done that and he learned not!"

Standing up, he tightened his grip around the knife, two strong arms immobilizing, just the moment I darted towards him. Boss approached the blade to Dylan's neck, the two men holding him, forcing him on his knees.

"Please!" I shrieked. "Dont hurt him! Give me a lesson, I was the one to blame, threaten me not to meet him again! I am the culprit! You claim to be a fair person, prove this true and let him go. I will be you beloved daughter, doing whatever you want, anything. Just, please, don't kill him. Don't kill him, father!"

His muscles tightened momentarily at this last word, his eyes glimmering, and a sly smirk dawning on his face. "If you wish so, sweetheart, how can I do otherwise; when my only daughter asks for something, I have to comply."

With a wave of his hand, the two men let Dylan slump down on the floor, the one of them kicking him violently on the stomach, causing me to gasp.

Boss slipped his arm around mine, granting me a small smile, before he guided me outside the building. And the truth is I looked back; but just to make sure Boss was keeping his promise.

If being with Dylan, ment getting him killed. We'd rather be apart!