CHAPTER 13

Scarlett

My head throbbed awefully, blocking even the slightest movement, yet I managed to merely open my eyes, staring at the once white ceiling, which was now covered in dust and spider-webs. I tried to speak, but my throat felt ragged and dry, turning the simple action of talking, into an extremely hard procedure.

Could this be paradise? Or like an old and dirty corner of paradise where not so saint people went? Was I even dead? Was Dylan alive?

My eyelids drooled shut as I concentrated my strength in forming silly questions no-one would answer me, instead of relaxing. I had to recover quickly, but I guess it wouldn't be easy. Only last week was I was beat up by Boss' men and carried over to Dylan's -I kind of never rested completely after that. Then was all the tension of bringing Dylan back to life when he was shot, only four days ago. And talking Dimitri over the subtle subject of Boss' relationship with me.

Dimitri! Why hadn't he kept Dylan for practise as planned that day? It feels like it was hours ago...

And Marilyn. What was she doing there? Is she okay now? Well, she will go straight to paradise for sure; this girl's an angel!

But, it was Robyn who had her the last time I saw her..., when jumping before that bullet to save Dylan! I bet he is as bad as I am, though. Robyn is an assassin, like a professional. And a gun doesn't only have one bullet.

A cracking sound to my right, caught my attention and I fought the urge to snap towards the source of the sound, feeling my neck sore and fragile; like if the smallest move could cause it to crack. The sound slowly turned into a snorting. Someone was here, next to me, sleeping!

My heart banged loudly against my chest like attempting to break out of it and I hopelessly tried to soothe it down, sensing my whole body would fall apart any moment now.

Daring to lift my right arm, I removed a tube of serum pinned on the inside of my left arm. To my bad luck, the reduction of the tube resulted in a recurrent beeping, piercing through my head, which made me messily plug the syringe back in the back side of my elbow.

Shit! I couldn't leave this place without waking the stranger up, and I wa certainly in no position to fight him. My left hand was entirely unmanned and my neck pinched me violently now and then. But I had to go! I didn't know who these people are. I couldn't just stay and allow them to do whatever they wanted with me.

Testing my legs, I squeezed my stomach, failing to sit up. Growling I allowed my body to drop back, inviting the deadly ache surging through my backbone. Clenching my teeth once again, I managed to prop myself on my elbows, a sudden dizziness sending me back down.

I was never going to make it out of this place at such a miserable condition. I had to stay here for some time, give my body some time to nourish. Growling, I glued my eyes to the ugly whole on one of the walls surrounding me, like someone had punched him. My body froze.

I was the one to punch that wall, after that first fight with Dylan, when returning back to my house, which I shared with Charly. All fidgety escaped my body and I realised the snorting had stopped.

"Scarlett? Is that you? Are you awake?"

*****

"I cannot stay here for one more second! Where is Dylan? Marilyn? Are you okay?"

You have to stay in the bed for like two more days only, or else your nape will be too weak and will break, killing you. Dylan is at his home and Marilyn is perfectly fine -just confused and kind of frightened. I won't answer your last question, because it was simply stupid." Dimitri plainly replied to my flood of questions, pressing me back down on the bed when I tried to move again.

"I cannot stay here, asshole! Marilyn needs me, Dylan has to be hardly kicked on his ass, as do you and I am, finally, choking inside here! Trust me, I'll die out of boredome inside here..." I groaned, casting him a look of disbelief.

Two days. No fucking way could I spend two more days in this bed with spiders as my only company, while Dylan was dying without my assistance and Marilyn was hiding inside her house; alone, with Robyn roaming around.

"Wht was Dylan there?!" I bursted out, glaring at Dimitri, who responded with a blank expression. "Why aren't you telling me? Why hadn't you kept him for practise?! That was the plan..."

Dimitri injected a syringe on my skin massaging his temple. "You are rambling unstoppably and exacerbating your condition, which is not good on its own. You need to calm down and shut your little mouth."

"But-" I objected, already feeling my senses giving up on me.

"Seriously. Shut it!" he articulated slowly. "We'll be talking about it later on, okay?"

Nodding, I turned my head away, carefully not to hurt my nape. "When can I see him?"

"Soon. I promise." he only smiled, before turning the light off and exiting the room, leaving me alone in my cold and eerily quiet room.

I had to follow his instructions, so that I would recover briskly. I needed to visit him; Dylan. And put an end in all this stupid romane story! It had gone too far for our own good...