CHAPTER 3

Angry?

No, not angry. I was infuriated, to the extend that my hands were shaking. Clenching my teeth, so that I wouldn't start screaming in the middle of the school corridor, I approached my locker.

How dared he? He used the fact that I was deemed a sweet good girl and determined to retain this reputation against me. He literally trapped me. But why? Ugh...

"Hey, Scarl!"

Oh, great, another nickname for me! Hooray!

Luke leaned near me against the lockers, his eyes glimmering with excitement. Dylan was probably close. Shit!

"What?" I mumbled, tightening my fists, my head throbbing by my efforts to remain calm.

"I heard" he whispered "that you will be escorting Mr. Devlyn to the Halloween ball!"

"I'd be glad it was only you who had heard about it." I snapped, feeling everyone's eyes burning my back for one more time today.

"Dylan is a really lucky guy." he sang, highlighting'really'.

My blood seemed to be boiling inside my veins, my down lip trembled violently.

Calm down, Scarlett. Calm down.

"Fuck off!" I growled, thrusting my hands on his chest.

He stumbled backwards, bumping on the lockers at the other side of the corridor. My lips parted and I knelt down unable to stand still. My vision blared up and the room begun spinning.

Tears? No; I was fainting.

Two strong arms clutched my shoulders, shaking me gently. "Tiger cub..." the words sounded foreign, like I was underwater. "Scarlett... Red..."

Red?! No. No-one must learn!

Jolting up, I grabbed the guy via its shirt. My nails dag inside his skin and I could feel his muscles -familiar, it felt familiar. These strong hands pinned me against the locker.

"Leave me. Now." I hissed, directing my nails to the man's face. Everything was numb, yet I still managed to jerk him off me."Please stay away. Leave me alone!"

"Being alone is not what you need now, tiger cub." the soft like velvet voice rang in my ear like a melody.

These piercing blue eyes appeared starker now, my head became lighter. Dylan..., well, again!

*****

Grunting loudly, I threw a tiny piece of paper on my plastic bag. The sun was burning my skin under my flimsy t-shirt, yet I could go on collecting garbage for days. Weeks, maybe.

My eyes scanned the park for Dylan. He was sitting on a bench, his arms crossed behind his head and his eyes shut. Idiot.

Dropping my bag down and causing, that way, some of its content to roll back out, I straddled to his place."Hey!" He didn't even open his eyes. "It is obvious you are having a great time over there, but it would be fucking great had you helped me somehow!"

"And why should I do that, may I ask?" he snorted, finally opening these magnificent eyes.

Moron. "Well,... maybe because you won two hours of Community Service as well?"

At that he chuckled quietly, wiggling his eyebrows. "Had I?"

My eyebrows jerked up. That man either has an awful taste of humor, or is completely stupid. "I mean, the headmaster did, indeed, punish me with two hours Community Service, but should he? I was only a victim of your burst of craziness, after all."

These last words grumbled my stomach, forcing me to sit down on the bench next to him. "Fine." I mouthed, sinking my fingers in my hair. Scenes started unwrapping in my head, so live, so vivid. The green trees were replaced by grey walls covered in spider-nets.

"Crazy!"

"Monster!"

"Go away you freak!"

Skinny figures covered in scratches and scalds, gashs and torn clothes, pointing their index fingers at me, blaming me, accusing, filled my vision.

A violent nudge on my ribs dragged me back to now. I shook my head, covering my face with my palms.

"You are acting strange you know!" Dylan mentioned. "Why were you that agitated? Before..."

"I'm just pissed off." I cut him off, smiling cheerlessly.

He remained silent frowning, allowing me to exhale deeply. It was obvious he wasn't pleased with the answer. Swiftly, he clutched my wrists, pulling me closer to him. "You know what" he yelled, his eyes dark and cold. "I don't believe you. I don't believe any of this shit!"

"Excuse me?" I managed to utter, my wide-open eyes reflecting pure shock. My last sup of strength was drained off me by my fail attempts to release my aching arms from his tight grip, leaving my body sore and feeble.

"Tell me, tiger cub, who are you really?"