CHAPTER 12

Dylan

The moonlight stroke against the cold metal of the gun, causing my heart to speed up. Guns have that ability!

I quickly examined the place. On my right, I had the school building and an almost unconscious Scarlett, who was currently cursing through clenched teeth. On my left, trees and the tall fence envelloping the school. Glaring at the tall muscular guy before me, and the blonde girl behind him, I realised that I was trapped, the most foolish way!

My only chance was to bargain and earn some time! Dimitri was looking for me, either way, since I never appeared at practise. He might be able to find us before it was too late.

"And you must be... Dylan!" the brunette guy uttered sucking in his cheeks and brandishing the gun he laughed. "Welcome to our little companion!"

I shoot my eyebrows up, smirking with fake comfort. "Your companion seems enjoyable to say the least! It would be really nice to join you, but I have to escort these two ladies back home, if you may."

Eyeing me from head to toe, he smiled sympathetically, dragging Marilyn, who looked at him in disgust, closer to him. "Well, I can't allow you do that."

Clenching my fist, I dropped my head back."And why is that?"

"Angel, here" and he pointed to a terrified Marilyn with the gun "owns me one last dance, don't you angel?"

The girl pinned her eyes on him defiantly, pressing her lips together, like trying to contain herself from crying. She was stronger than one could initially make out of her.

"I don't think you are her type!" I joked, yet couldn't hide the venom in my voice. Okay Scarlett and I; we were used to situations like this one, but Marilyn had nothing to do with it all! She was just an innocent girl being at the wrong place, the worst of times!

"Am I not, angel?!" the guy faked a sad grimance, stroking her cheek and brushing away a tear escaping the girls watery eyes.

"That's enough!" I barked, glaring at him blatantly. "Let them both go -Scarlett and Marilyn! They have nothing to do with it! It me who you want, am I not right?"

Robyn shook his head, looking down at Marilyn, and pulled a blade out of his back-pocket, dragging it down her cheek gently. "I don't think I can leave her so soon. I mean, look at those beautiful eyes, wouldn't it be a shame to have them plugged off?"

"No! D-Dylan..." all of us startled turned towards Scarlett, who was fighting to stand back on her feet. Spontaneously, I ran to her place, kneeling next to her curled up body. "Do not let... Marilyn... Robyn..." Her eyes were closing, her voice exiting her throat rough and feeble, and her skin was pallid, almost transparent, her veins seeming black through it. She was fainting away, probably this time for good!

"Scarlett, Scarlett! Look at me, tiger cub! You are okay... you are a fighter!"

She shook her head sobbing uncontrollably. "No..."

"Scarlett!" Marilyn shrieked from somewhere behind me, causing a tired grin to spread on the redhead's face.

"Time is up for your terrific romance." the brunette man, whose name seemed to be Robyn, growled, triggering the gun. "Lover-boy, tell me, are you bullet-proof?"

I just casted him a look of hatred, which seemed to please him as he continued. "I thought so. Now, I want you to take four steps to your left."

Dragging my feet, I obeyed, my eyes always glued on his black ones and the shimmering gun on his hand. "What do you want? Why are you even here?"

His eyes blinked widely, in a wince of confusion. "Boss." he then replied, pointing with his gun down on the ground. "Kneel."

"And what is that? An execution?"

"Kind off." he simply shrugged, his words distracting a gasp from Marilyn. "You can phrase your last will, but ... well, I don't care much to fulfil it."

"Right." I only bothered to spit emotion-lessly. So this would be my end. It wasn't really bad; I had imagined worse. Like dying alone or weak, or unjustly. I mean, if it was near her, if it was near Scarlett!

The hammer clicked loudly, but I could feel no pain. The only sound I could discern was a small thump, like something collapsing on the grass before me and the sound of sharp breathing. All I could see then was Scarlett -not the healthy, hyper Scarlett- the dying Scarlett, lying before me covered in blood.

"You fucking idiot! Damn. Holy fuck!" Robyn exclaimed, rage clearly obvious on his eyes, which were shinning dangerously.

And suddenly my senses surged like a destructive wave through me. "Look what you'be done!" I groaned, the voice trapped inside my neck, as were the words in my mind. My body started tremoring and my chest moved up and down like a rollercoaster, as I leaned over Scarlett, caressing her bloody cheek and removing some strands of red hair away from her face.

"I am okay." she managed to spell smiling kindly, causing tears to flood my eyes. She had smiled, she had finally smiled -the worst of moments, yet she had! "I am here, Dylan." she croaked, wiping a tear rushing down my cheek with her thumb, only achieving to said me with blood as well.

"Don't worry, lover-boy, you're next!" Robyn hissed, but his voice was dry and broken now. His hand was unstable when he raised the gun, but the bullet found its way through my chest either way.

My body collapsed back on the ground, making everything spin around me in a haze. I could literally feel life decaying inside my body altogether with it. My joint ached and my senses were dull, yet collecting my last reserves of strength, I stretched my hand towards Scarlett, entwining my fingers with her cold ones, and turned to the starry sky.

I sleepishly heard as Robyn paced away, carrying a screaming Marilyn with him. And imagine I wanted to save that girl, but I guess it is too late for this now...

Smiling I allowed my eyes to close, treasuring the midnight silence, the cool breeze, the complete serenity. Despite the fact that I was dying, this single moment was pastoral and ideal and... shortly disturbed by a pair of feet approaching us.

I felt the person bending over us and my heart skirted as they sighed.

"The dumpest pair of idiots!"

Dimitri...