CHAPTER 6

Scarlett's POV

Numb.

Again everything around me was moving slowly and my muscles were failing me. I was fainting for the second time this day and I was so fed up with myself. All these made me seem weak, and weakness is the greatest flaw one can have.

The gentle touch of Dylan was now replaced by a soft fabric. I tried to open my eyes but my eyelids felt so heavy. Voices could be clearly heard around me. The one was his -life was playing a nasty game on me, placing him at the right place, the right time to save me.

"You have to do something, mate!"

The other voice replied calmly, patting Dylan on the back, it was this guy, Dimitri. "There's nothing we can do, but give her some time to relax. Come on, let's go!"

Steps echoed fading away; two pairs of them, two people. I was alone. Finally.

Turning the lights off when they left, they abandoned me lost in the darkness. I squeezed my tired eyes, counting to ten, like in a ring. I reached ten, yet my eyes were still shut; I was beaten, I've lost.

Panic surged through me in a massive wave. What if I was in a coma? They say patients on coma, most of the times, are fully aware of what is happening around them.

Taking a deep breathe and exhaling slowly, I allowed my body to calm down.

I can do this, I'm not weak.

My eyes fluttered open and it took me some seconds to adjust to the plain darkness. The shimmering light of the crescend, adorning the midnight sky at this time, was the only source of light in the room.

Silently, I sat up on my bed, my bare feet touching the wooden floor. Why was I barefoot? Why would they take off my shoes, for God's shake? My rush to get out of this room was making me fretful.

Tiptoeing, I approached the only window in the room, from where the moonlight came and opened it with short and gentle moves. The hinges creaked and I bit my lip, yet no other sound could be heard around.

Suddenly, I felt dizzy and gripped the wooden frame of the window, leaning against it. My nails werepeggedon the wood and I felt the sharp pain, probably I was bleeding. This pain, though, helped me fully recover my consciousness.

Gulping, I peeped out the window; I was high, fifth or sixth floor. I couldn't jump from such height, and survive. My stomach felt like a small bulb down my belly. I had to escape somehow.

"Are you going to jump, tiger cub?"

The quiet voice made me jump up. Panicked, I allowed my hands to slip off the frame, briskly replacing them with my elbows, which crushed violently against the wood. My heartrate increased making the whole room spin around me.

The soft voice went on, calm and restraint "Your feet can't even keep you up and yet you are considering jumping! You are unbelievable."

Grabbing the window-frame, like the only rope keeping me over the abyss, I turned around. My eyes, blurred and sleepy, scanned the room and there he was. Sitting in the corner in his black shirt and trousers; he was literally invisible.

"I was not going to jump, you dumbass!" I mumbled, hating how my weakness showed even when I talked. "But I'm out of here!"

He laughed, lazily bending against the wall. His dark hair created menacing shadows on his face and the moonlight made his eyes glimmer even more as he lowered his gaze. For a moment only I though he was checking me out, his aqua-blue eyes roaming over my body.

"You can trust me you know. If I wanted you dead, I'd let those idiots do the job!"

"Trust is overestimated." I hissed, squeezing my thighs together to stop the tremors. The sweet midnight breeze almost froze me inside-out. Small black dots invaded my vision again.

"Get back to that bed... please."

His eyes now resembled the dark sea; that deep yet warm blue color. I commenced to say something back, but his imperative please, urged me to move to the bed.

Pressing my left palm against the wall, I staggered to the bed. My head was banging violently, like hammers bringing an uninhabited house down. My knees cracked, causing me to fold in two, before collapsing on the floor.

Groaning I popped an eye open, observing as Dylan slipped his arms over my waist and legs, lifting me up in his arms.

"Fuck off!" I murmured, my voice breaking. "I can help myself."

He snorted "Obviously not, tiger cub!"

"Do not call me that." I hissed, slapping my palms against his chest.

Rolling his oh-so amazing eyes, he dropped me as if I was a poke of potatoes on the bed. Growling silently I clutched a pillow from below my back and dag my bloody nails in it.

"What do you want from me?" I yelled in frustration.

A sparkle played in his eyes as he placed his index finger over my lips. I could have bitten it... but it would be for nothing since I wouldn't be able to even walk to the window, let alone jump.

"Come on, Scarlett, I heard what you were discussing with the two idiots over there."

His words made me shuffle with the covers in fidgety. Out of the still open window the first sunrays appeared shyly. My mind span wildly. Knowledge, at such situations, is never an asset.

"You were supposed to lose, allow me to beat you, just because your boss was going to gain more from the wages this way! Am I right?"

I removed my gaze from his piercing one, turning my head away. Sighing, he ran his fingers over my cheek, reaching down my chin and forcing me to look at him.

"I just want to know." he mumbled handing me a bottle of whiskey.

"Talk to me, Scarlett."