Cowboy Casanova

Note: This was so much fun to write honestly haha :D Again, song is above if you wanna listen whilst reading ;) Enjoy!! :D

I glanced up just in time to see a familiar brown sheriff's hat pass by my cell window in the prison before I turned and made my way outside. It was my turn to help in the garden today and unfortunately, so was Carl's. I huffed in annoyance. I hated working with that kid. The bright sunshine beat down on me as I walked over to the small garden Rick had grown. Speaking of, Rick was already there waiting on me.

Carl, too, in fact. He was dressed in a worn plaid shirt over a light blue tee, his shaggy brown hair falling in his face slightly before he brushed it away. I ignored the nervous twist that started in my belly at the gesture.

You better take it from me

I rolled my eyes, the mere sight of him irritating me.

That boy is like a disease

That boy was like a disease. Just when you thought you were cured and he was gone, he would just show up again. Like relapsing.

You're runnin' and tryin' and tryin' to hide and you're wondering why you can't get free

I went to reach for a shovel when he handed me one instead. Not even bothering to glance up, I brushed past and grabbed another one. Shrugging, he just let it go, not questioning it. It was really no secret that I didn't like him. Thankfully though, the work day didn't last long and I was finally free.

He's like a curse, he's like a drug

But he was like a curse, like a drug or something. Every time I tried to get away from him, he would always show up somehow. Maybe I was the one cursed.

You get addicted to his love

I almost felt...addicted to the adrenaline rush I got from walking off and snubbing him - almost like it was game we played.

You wanna get out, but he's holding ya down

I wanted to get out so badly but somehow, he always drew me back into it. Like maybe he needed the game as much as I did.

'Cause you can't live without one more touch

Truthfully...I was starting to feel weird around him, like when he accidentally brushed his hand against mine... But I couldn't get attached. After all...

He's a good time cowboy Casanova

Leaning up against the record machine

My eyes locked on his lone form from across the room as I watched him, his "cowboy" hat tilted down to shade his eyes as he leaned up against the wall.

Looks like a cool drink of water

I felt my stomach flip at the sight but brushed it off.

But he's candy-coated misery

That boy was nothing but candy-coated misery anyhow. I couldn't get involved.

He's the devil in disguise

A snake with blue eyes

He was nothing but trouble - at least that's what my daddy, Shane, had told me. Carl's blue eyes connected to mine then and he smirked.

And he only comes out at night

He always tended to stare even more when no one was around - like right now, at night in the main room of the prison.

Gives you feelings that you don't wanna fight

My heart pounded in my chest, making it hard to breathe. That boy made me feel things - feelings that was hard to fight.

You better run for your life

Turning on my heel, I bolted out of there as fast as I could. Before I'd do something I knew I would regret. And as I lied down that night in the small twin bed in my cell, I couldn't help but know I'd had a close call. But the question was...how would I avoid him tomorrow? When morning came, I rose bright and early with every intention of telling Carl off for looking at me the way he did last night.

I see that look on your face

But when I'd confronted him about it, he only stared at me with that same smirk in place on his features. That smirk that made me feel weak in the knees.

You ain't hearing what I say

I scoffed, knowing he was ignoring me completely. Rolling my eyes, I stalked off back to my daily chores. I didn't have time for this anyway.

So I'll say it again 'cause I been where ya been

And I know how it ends, you can't get away

I knew if I tried to tell him again, though, I'd just get that same self-satisfied smug look - the one I wanted to slap off. Because truthfully, he knew exactly what he was doing to me. And he liked how it was making me so flustered.

Don't even look in his eyes

But I made the mistake of looking into his eyes when I bumped into him, hissing at him to watch where he was going.

He'll tell you nothing but lies

Grinning, he'd apologized but I knew it was a lie. He'd bumped into me on purpose.

And you wanna believe that you won't be deceived

If you listen to me and take my advice

I wanted to believe at first that all these things were only in my head, that I'd imagined it all. But slowly, I began to disregard my daddy's advice.

He's a good time cowboy Casanova

Leaning up against the record machine

As I was walking back to my cell, I finally caught sight of him waiting for me by the doorway. He was such a cowboy Casanova, leaning up against the wall.

Looks like a cool drink of water

But he looked so...attractive then in that moment that I couldn't stop my feet from taking me to him even if I'd tried.

But he's candy-coated misery

Even if that boy was just candy-coated misery in a sheriff's hat. Maybe pudding-coated misery, instead...

He's the devil in disguise

When I finally stopped in front of him, I didn't waste any time before flicking his sheriff's hat up...

A snake with blue eyes

...to reveal his set of cerulean-blue eyes.

And he only comes out at night

Thank goodness it was night and I was under the cover of darkness, I might not have had the guts to do this in daylight.

Gives you feelings that you don't wanna fight

But before I talked myself out of it, I grabbed the back of his neck before forcefully pulling him to my lips. I put all of the pent-up passion into that one single kiss.

You better run for your life

And just as if it never happened then, I broke away from him and spun on my heel, racing away from him up the stairs to my cell.

Maybe I should have listened to my dad about cowboy Casanovas to begin with.