Letting Go

My heart clenched with anxiety and it felt like all the air had left my lungs. Flashes of pain ricocheted in my chest like gun shots and hot tears streamed down my face, clouding my eyes. It felt like my heart was breaking. Nothing would ever be the same now.

"That is the promise of peace. That one day after a long life, we find each other again..." Elena said softly as the infamous Uncle John popped onto the screen, enveloping her in a hug.

I sniffed loudly, grabbing another tissue to dab at my eyes with as I sat huddled up on the floor in front of the tiny TV in the living room of the Grimes' house. Thank goodness Alexandria had electricity so I could watch my beloved Vampire Diaries. Through the screen, I watched all the Gilberts hug it out and another round of crying ensued as I pulled my purple blanket tighter around myself. My long hair fanned out around me as the tears rolled down my cheeks. I yanked out a Kleenex and blew my nose loudly in the otherwise silent house. I still couldn't believe it was all coming to an end.

It was too soon! I wasn't ready yet! I just needed five more seasons and I could be happy... No...probably not, it still wouldn't be enough. I'd always need Vampire Diaries. The scene switched then to show Stefan standing alone and a sad smile lit up my face.

"Steffy-Poo!" I cheered, wiping the tears off my skin gingerly.

He turned to the door then and my heart soared as he walked over to open it. The door swung open and another round of ugly crying started as my eyes fell on Damon's form in the doorway.

"Hello, brother." Damon greeted Stefan softly.

They embraced and I felt my heart shatter again. In the next agonizing moments, the song faded out and the Vampire Diaries logo flashed across the screen with a new white background. Soon, the letters faded out and everything went black. That was it. It was over. Seven years of my life had been devoted to this show and now...it was just over. In the blink of an eye.

"NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I wailed, more tears streaming freely down my face as I curled up into a little weeping ball on the living room floor.

Suddenly, booted footsteps came racing into the house and I glanced up to see a disheveled-looking Carl panting above me. He hunched over, resting his hands on his knees. His Sheriff's hat dipped slightly over his forehead but I could still make out his icy-blue eyes beneath it.

"What's...what's wrong? I-I heard screaming and..." he said between breaths, his tongue flicking out over dry lips.

I let out another pitiful sob and sucked in a breath.

"Vam-vam-vampire Diaries is o-over!" I wept, choking on my words.

He shot me a quizzical expression but it was soon covered with a sympathetic one when I glared at him.

"THIS IS A BIG DEAL, CARL! THIS SHOW WAS SEVEN YEARS OF MY LIFE! SEVEN YEARS OF JOY, PAIN, LOVE, AND DEATH ALL ROLLED INTO ONE AMAZING SUPERNATURAL TV SHOW THAT WAS MY LIFE!" I screeched in a deafening tone at him.

Baby blue eyes widened at my almost-feral response and slowly, he backed out of the room. My mouth formed into an 'o' before it turned into a pathetic little pout and I sniffled. He had left me in my time of need! I crumpled up into a ball again, this time pulling the blanket over my head completely as the sobs overtook me. A few minutes later, I heard footsteps again and hesitantly, peeked out from underneath my cover of darkness. Familiar scuffed-up combat boots filled my vision and I sniffed.

"Carl?" I asked softly, my words coming out in a hoarse whisper.

Gentle hands pulled back my blanket to reveal my face and I gazed up into warm blue eyes.

"Shh, it's okay, I'm here for you..." he told me softly, gathering me up into his arms.

His chest was warm as I snuggled into him, his hands rubbing up and down my back soothingly.

"Why-why did you leave?" I asked sadly, looking up at him.

A small smile lit up his face and without releasing me entirely, one of his hands picked up a small container. He held it up to me triumphantly and this time, it was my turn to smile. It was a tiny tub of ice-cream. And my favorite flavor too - strawberry!

"I had to get the necessary items to mourn the loss of a...very important chapter in your life," he told me gently, his hand reaching up to cup my cheek.

I sniffed, smiling slightly.

"This is why you're the best boyfriend, Carl." I said, pecking his cheek lightly.

A blush formed on his cheeks as he handed me the ice-cream and a spoon to eat it with. The rest of the night I spent curled up in his arms while eating ice cream and re-counting my favorite TVD moments...or rather favorite Damon moments.