How to Shoot A Gun

"And now pull the trigger!"

"Pull? How do I pull it? There's no way-"

"Okay, you press it! Can you do that?"

"Well, why didn't you just say that to begin with?"

"I pretty much did say that!"

"Carl?"

A sigh.

"What is it now?"

"It's not working!"

"Did you press the trigger?"

"Yes, but it's not working!"

"Did you turn the Safety off like I told you to?"

Silence.

"Well, did you?"

"...No..."

With a frustrated sigh, Carl snatched the gun from my hands. He'd been trying all day to teach me how to shoot a gun to no avail. And he was starting to get agitated with me. It wasn't his idea to teach me, though and maybe that was part of the reason he was agitated. Rick had been insistent I learn how. Of course, the only reason he had taken an interest in me was because of who my father was.

After Rick had killed my dad, Shane, he'd always carried a lot of guilt with him. Not for Shane's death but for the simple fact that it had left me an orphan. He had been the only family I'd had left. Even if we weren't blood-related. Shane had adopted me long before the outbreak began. But he was a great dad and had protected me from the walkers as well as every other evil thing that still lurked out there in what was left of the world.

But he's gone now. Had been for a few months. It was tough but I'd accepted it. Oddly enough, I didn't even blame Rick for what he'd done. Dad was wrong to try to kill him and take over. The group had become my family now.

"Hey, are you paying attention or not?" Carl barked at me, breaking me from my thoughts.

I let out a sigh.

"Yes, Carl..." I said, placing my hands on my hips.

"Then what did I just say?" he asked, arching an eyebrow.

I stayed silent.

"Ha! See, I knew you weren't listening!" he said, rolling his eyes before gesturing with his hand, "Come over here and I'll show you,"

I held back a groan and walked over to him. He came and stood behind me before handing me back the gun. The cold metal felt heavy in my hands but I held it up high and aimed it at an old Sprite can that Carl had found to use for target practice. His long slender fingers snaked up my arms, making me shiver involuntarily. Since we were both so young, Carl hadn't grown to his full height yet so he rested his chin on my shoulder. I could feel his warm breath hit my cheek.

"Now, turn the Safety button off," he said softly.

I clicked Safety off like he requested.

"Now, press hard on the trigger," he continued, his hot breath in my ear.

My finger pushed down on the trigger as far as it would go. Suddenly, the bullet shot out of the barrel with a ringing pop! It whizzed through the air and hit the can with a loud pinging sound. I gasped.

"I did it! I did it!" I shrieked in delight, turning to envelope Carl in a hug.

He laughed and hugged me back. Pulling away from him then, I pecked him on the lips without thinking.

"Oh! Carl, I'm sorry," I said, shocked at my own actions, "I didn't mean to-"

Suddenly, I was cut off by Carl's lips pressed to mine. It was a short kiss but sweet all the same and once he broke away, I had a smile plastered on my face.

"I should've taught you how to shoot a gun a long time ago." he smirked.