Quarantine Kids

"Ah-ah-CHOO!" a kid sneezed.

A chorus of 'ewww''s erupted around the room and I rolled my eyes at their childishness. The whole lot of us were quarantined in the west wing of the prison once the outbreak occurred. Rick had ordered us all to stay in here so we wouldn't get infected as well. And let me tell you something, it is boring being locked up in here for so long. Besides, I wanted to help. In here, I just felt useless.

I glanced up at the doorway to see Carl still standing guard, his back pressed up against the frame and his hand resting on the gun at his side. His piercing blue eyes took in the surroundings, making sure no one sick wandered out and came near us. Shaggy brown hair fell in his eyes beneath his Sheriff's hat and he pushed it back absentmindedly. To be honest, I'd had a crush on him ever since we'd been brought here from Woodbury. He was so different from the other boys I'd known there. He was stoic, brave, and he had a beautiful smile when he used it.

I'd never told him any of that, of course. As much as I'd been around boys in Woodbury, I still wasn't good at talking to them. Especially not one who's been on the outside, seen it all out there. While I'd been living a sheltered life under the Governor's thumb, he'd been fighting walkers and seeing the people he cared about die. Why would he be interested in a sheltered girl like me anyway? I leaned back against the wall where I was sitting on the floor.

Suddenly, we heard someone call out Carl's name several times from the hallway. His head shot up and after glancing around the room at us one last time, he took off down the hallway towards the voice. Quickly, I got up and followed after him. When I finally reached him, he was standing and talking to to Rick. I stepped back in to the shadows to give them time to talk. They talked for a few minutes before I heard his dad start to leave.

"But I think it's my job to try." I heard Rick tell him before walking back out the door.

I tried to slink away unnoticed but Carl's blue eyes caught me.

"What are you doing out here?" he questioned me, his voice stern like I was a small child who he'd found stealing from a cookie jar.

"I, um...I..." I started, suddenly at a loss for words around him.

He crossed his arms and arched one eyebrow, "Well?"

"I...heard someone calling you," I said finally, fidgeting nervously under his blue-eyed gaze.

"So? Get back to the room. It's not safe out here," he ordered me.

Feeling slightly dejected, I turned to go wordlessly.

"Wait, stop!" he suddenly called after me.

I stopped in my tracks and turned back around to face him.

"I'm...sorry. I'm just a little on edge..." he admitted, trailing off.

I shrugged, a small smile tugging at my lips.

"It's fine," I told him.

He bit his plump lip, making butterflies swarm in my stomach.

"You wanna keep watch with me?" he asked, slightly unsure.

By the tone of his voice, I realized he wasn't skilled at talking to the opposite gender either. I grinned at him, walking over.

"I'd like that."