Flirty Winks

I leaned into Carl's side and he wrapped an arm around my waist as we all were led into The Kingdom. The place looked so surreal. Run-down a bit but for the most part, it was like going back in time to before the outbreak. I smiled as I watched little kids running around, laughing and playing. I glanced up at my boyfriend to see him smiling as well. I wonder if Carl and I would ever have that - kids, I mean.

My fingers gripped onto the soft material of Carl's t-shirt and he rubbed his hand up and down my bare arm. Jesus and the other two men led us into what looked to be a former school theater. Old props lined the back of the stage while a man with dreadlocks sat on a throne. I arched my eyebrow. So this was the King? I almost snorted at the idiocy of it but went along with the charade, following behind Rick and the others.

"Welcome to my Kingdom!" the man said, spreading his hands wide to encompass the area.

"Ezekiel-" Rick started and then corrected himself, "-King Ezekiel..."

I tuned them out as they began to negotiate and my eyes wandered to the men standing behind the "King". There was a tall man who was a bit heavyset whom the king called Jerry. And another, younger, boy who stood just to the king's right. He looked to be close to my age. His hair was sandy blond with slight curls and denim-blue were the color of his eyes - a stark contrast from Carl's own blue orb. The boy's gaze flicked down to mine then and upon seeing me, he shot me a wink.

I blushed scarlet and looked down at my feet. Carl must have noticed the exchange because his grip on my waist tightened and he pulled me closer protectively. I didn't look over at the boy again although I felt his eyes on me the rest of the time we were there. King Ezekiel announced he would make his decision tomorrow morning and we all filed out of the theater. As we all stepped out into the light, I noticed a hard expression on my boyfriend's face. I put a hand on his shoulder but just as I did, he pulled away from me roughly and walked ahead with the others.

A pang of hurt erupted in my chest but I pushed it down as we were led to the rooms we'd be staying in. Rick and Michonne would bunk together as well as Daryl and Sasha and Rosita and Tara. And lastly, Carl and I would be sharing. I sighed as I dropped my bag onto the floor by one of the beds and sat down on the comforter. Carl, on the other hand, threw his Sheriff's hat onto his own bed and walked over to the bay window to sit. He peered out of the window into the night sky.

His shaggy brown hair fell into his eye and the moonlight filtering inside lit up his features, making him seem pale and beautifully unnatural. I sighed as a moment of silence grew between us. Finally, I strolled over to where he was sitting and joined him, my feet touching his on the small seat. He grumbled slightly, scowling but didn't move away.

"What's wrong, Carl? Why are you so mad?" I asked him bluntly.

His blue-eyed gaze went to mine for a second but he didn't say anything before glancing out the window again.

"Carl! Just answer me!" I yelled in exasperation.

"That guy back there was flirting with you!" Carl finally told me, his voice gruff and hard.

I shrugged my shoulders.

"So?" I asked, confused.

"What do you mean 'so'?" he shot back.

"Well, it's not like I flirted back, Carl!" I said, growing angry at his assumptions.

He scoffed, kicking my feet away from his.

"You didn't dissuade him either!"

My eyes narrowed, sitting up in my seat.

"Oh? So when someone winks at me from across the room, I'm automatically supposed to raise my voice and shout over to him that I have a boyfriend?!" I spat, "That's ridiculous, Carl, and you know it,"

"No, but you didn't have to enjoy it as much as you did!" he hissed, getting up from his seat to walk towards the door.

"I didn't enjoy it!" I said, immediately following after him.

I grabbed onto his wrist and pulled him back to face me.

"I didn't enjoy it, Carl!" I repeated myself as he finally looked down at me into my eyes, "I admit, yeah, it was nice to see that other boys still like me since I never see anyone else my own age but you. But that...that doesn't mean I like him..."

Carl's blue eye softened then and he sighed, finally relenting as I let go of his wrist. He wrapped me in his arms and my own went around his waist as he towered over me. He rested his chin on the top of my head and I snuggled into his chest.

"I love you, Carl Grimes, and no one else..." I admitted softly in the darkness.

He sighed again ever so softly.

"That's what they all say..." he said solemnly.

I slapped him on the arm, grinning.

"Ow!" Carl yelped and I laughed.