I'll Always Find You

I was only going on a supply run. It should've been safe. I'd went on several before on my own. But somehow, I'd gotten myself lost and with a sinking feeling, I realized I didn't know how to get back to Alexandria. Back to Carl. We fell in love when we were just kids. Which is dumb to some people I guess but we were different.

This world was different. We were the Cory and Topanga of our generation, I thought with a stupid grin plastered on my face. And no matter what anyone said, I loved him. I just had to find my way back to him. And I had no idea which way to go. Turning around in place, I gaze down both ends of the street.

It was deserted, of course and thankfully, no walkers were around. But there were no familiar landmarks either and right now, that's what I desperately needed. I trudged down the street and zig-zagged my way past the debris that littered the cracked cement of the road. Birds cawed in trees and up ahead, I found a walker impaled on a car mirror. Black blood oozed from its mutilated stomach and it tried to reach for me as I passed by but I just ignored it, fingering my gun to make sure I still had it. I had to get back home.

Hm...home. It had been a long time since I'd considered anyplace home. But then again, home was anywhere Carl was. And he was waiting in Alexandria for me. As I walked on, night began to fall fast and soon, I was enveloped in darkness. Stars glittered in the sky and I sighed as I kept closer to the woods.

I needed to find a place to stay for the night. And soon, because I could just hear the far-off sounds of walkers in the distance. A cold breeze blew through the thin material of my t-shirt and I pulled my jacket tighter around me. There were a few houses on this street so I picked one at random and cleared it. Surprisingly, there were only three walkers inside. I threw my duffel bag with tuna cans in it onto the carpet beside a bed I'd found upstairs before crawling onto the mattress.

My head sunk into the soft downy-feather pillow and I let out an exhausted sigh. Tears pricked my eyes as I thought of Carl... Would I ever see him again? Was he even looking for me? No... No, I guess he wasn't. How could he be?

It was too late to search now, too dangerous. I shut my eyes, squeezing them together tightly to not let the tears escape. Crying would do me no good. It wouldn't help the situation at all. I don't know when I'd fallen asleep but I woke up to someone shaking me. Fear clenched at my chest and my eyes flew open, fumbling for my gun I'd left on the nightstand.

The figure above me was in the shadows and I didn't recognize the person until they stepped into the light. Moonlight from outside filtered onto this face, lighting up his porcelain skin and baby blue eyes.

"Carl!" I breathed out before tackling him in a hug.

His strong arms wrapped around me and I breathed in his scent, my cheek brushing against his plaid t-shirt. A sob bubbled up from my throat and I gripped him tighter, my fingers digging into the soft material. Carl shushed me and pulled me down onto the bed with him, his hands rubbing up and down my back soothingly.

"Shh, baby, I'm here..." he mumbled softly into my hair before sighing, "I'm right here..."

"I thought...I thought I'd never see you again," I admitted, sniffling.

His hands cupped my face then, brushing the tears away with his thumbs.

"I'll always find you...I promise." he told me gently before pressing a kiss to my forehead.

Instead of heading back to Alexandria, Carl decided we'd stay there for the night. It was safer that way instead of trying to travel in the darkness. Besides...there were too many walkers roaming the streets this late. His warms wrapped around my tiny frame once more, gathering me to his chest. I snuggled into him, the warmth from his body soothing me. His heart beat methodically in my ear, lulling me to sleep in his arms.