Pudding In The Dark

Note: Sorry for the late update, guys! I've been so busy and haven't had a chance to write that much. But anyway, here it is! Enjoy! :)

Carl's heart beat methodically in my ear as my head lay on his chest, his strong arms wrapped around my tiny frame. We were sleeping in an abandoned house that Rick, Carl, and myself had found. Ever since we had escaped the prison, Carl hadn't been talking to Rick at all. I knew he was hurting inside because of Judith dying. Having a baby sister meant everything to him although he wouldn't admit it. I shifted in his arms to face him.

His eyes were closed and he was snoring softly. A smile lit up my face as I reached out a hand to brush a piece of brown hair away from his forehead. My fingers tingled from touching his warm skin and I bit my lip. We hadn't been together long. We'd actually started dating when sickness had broken out in the prison. Carl and I were only two of the few teenagers that hadn't gotten sick.

We'd kept watch together over the rest of them. We'd talked and laughed and that day, I got to know him much better than I ever had since I'd arrived at the prison with the rest of the Woodbury citizens. Life had kicked me in the teeth shortly after that though. My mother died during the outbreak as well as my older sister, the only bit of family I'd had left in the world. I felt so alone after that, so broken. The only light I had in my life then was Carl.

He'd been there for me when no one else had. The least I could do was be there for him. Carl moved just then in the darkness and slowly his ocean-blue eyes opened, looking into mine. I smiled at him and he returned it.

"Hey," he whispered, his voice raspy from sleep.

I cuddled up to him as he pulled me closer in the dark. Burying my head into his chest, I sighed, feeling his warmth. It was so cold in this house that he had insisted I sleep close to him to keep me warm. His hand rubbed up and down my back as he held me.

"Carl?" I asked softly.

He hummed in response and I continued, "Are you okay?"

I heard him swallow and I glanced up at him then.

"I'm alright...I just...I miss Judith..." he said, choking on the last word.

Reaching up, I wrapped my arms around his neck and I felt his tears soak into my t-shirt.

"I just...I wish I could have saved her..." he mumbled and I placed a kiss into his dark hair.

"I know," I said, gently rubbing his back with my hand.

After a few minutes, he pulled back from me and sniffed, wiping the tears away with the back of his hand.

"Sorry you had to see that," he said, laughing nervously.

I shook my head and cupped his face in my hands, my fingertips grazing over his skin.

"I'm glad that I did..." I said, trailing off.

He smiled at me then, some of the sadness in his blue eyes melting away. Suddenly, he crashed his lips into mine, taking my breath away. I immediately kissed him back, his plump lips gliding over mine perfectly. I smiled into the kiss. He tasted just like chocolate. Abruptly, I broke away from him, a confused expression plastered on my face.

"I forgot to mention I found some pudding earlier," he grinned.

"And did you save me any?" I asked, arching an eyebrow playfully.

He rolled his eyes and slightly lifted himself up from the floor. He reached over me, his blue and gray t-shirt brushing my face as he did. All of a sudden, a large chocolate pudding can was set in front of me with a clang. Looking up, I saw Carl grinning while holding two spoons.

"Pudding?" he offered and I laughed, shaking my head at his childish antics.

I took the spoon from him and sat cross-legged. Carl mimicked my actions and scooted closer to me so the can was positioned between the two of us. We dug into the can then, eating pudding in the dark.