Birthday Surprises

Note: Probably going to accidentally re-use GIFs, y'all - just forewarning you lol XD The small amount of Carl GIFs on the internet is just disturbing XD

Birthdays used to be so enjoyable for me - food, cake, presents - what's not to like about that? But ever since the Apocalypse, it hadn't been the same. Not that I cared too much - after all, we were fighting to stay alive in this world. Birthdays were frivolous, meaningless now. To be honest, I'd nearly forgotten what day it was anymore. Not until we'd come to Alexandria, of course. That was when the doctor here, Denise, introduced me to the calendar they went by. And according to that, my birthday was only a week from now. 

Carl hadn't said much when he found out which I admit, had stung. It surprised me, too. In fact, he had been doing a lot of things lately that surprised me - like sneaking off to who knows where. Sometimes he'd be gone for hours and wouldn't be back till late at night. But whenever I asked him where he'd been, I'd just get the same reply: out. I had confided in Michonne about this, feeling as if she was the only one I could talk to since I'd first met Rick and the others while traveling with her.

She'd tole me not to worry and that everything would be fine. But I got the sense that she knew more than she was letting on. Days passed then when finally, my birthday came. I stumbled down the stairs in my Jack Skellington tank top and short I used as sleepwear, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. But when I made my way to the living room, I was shocked by what I saw. Sitting lined up in a row on the coffee-table were several Funko Pops. My eyes went round as saucers as I took it in.

"How..." I croaked out, barely able to find my voice.

Suddenly, arms encircled my waist and I felt someone's chin rest on my shoulder.

"Happy birthday, baby," a familiar, husky voice said, warm breathing fanning my neck before soft lips pressed a kiss to my bare skin.

I shivered at the touch and turned around in my boyfriend's embrace, gazing up into his blue orb.

"Did you do this for me?" I arched an eyebrow, beaming up at him.

Smiling slightly, he nodded and a strand of auburn-brown hair fell over his forehead. Rolling my eyes playfully, I pushed it back with my fingertips before gently pecking his cheek in thanks. Glancing over my shoulder, I eyed the boxes. Some were damaged - edges torn and plastic dented - but all in all they were still in good condition.

"How did you even find them?" I asked in awe, my inner fangirl coming out when I saw the Lannister pops, "I've been wanting those since before everything!"

He chuckled, shrugging, "No one raids Toys 'R' Us' in apocalypses."

I laughed out loud at this and threw my arms around his neck, bringing his lips to mine in a slow, sweet kiss. The warmth of his mouth on mine made my body feel like it was on fire. But like always, I reveled in the feeling.