29. Needed Another Female

Becky could not remember the last time she was in such a foul mood, which begged the question: Had she ever been in such a horrible mindset before? She was not sure, but neither she did want to think about it. 

The mix-matched group of her, her friend, her brother, and three “animals” had hitched a ride on a service crew’s cart.

The idiotic twin brothers were pretending as if they were driving and racing through the crowded pathways, masterfully avoiding kids and parents. Tiger would crack a smile every now and then, but he mostly seemed lost in thought.

Becky wondered at his countenance. Was it really possible for a Were to understand concern and care? Was he really worried about his supposed love? Was it possible that not all Weres were as sneaky, manipulative, and snakey as Weresnakes? 

Becky sighed, gritting her teeth as she glanced at her brother’s unconscious face. He was slumped over, his dark, thick eyebrows pressed into a frown.

Becky wiped a tear away before it fully formed and fixed her attention on the passing scenery. There were so many animals. They did not seem too bad. Oh, what was she thinking? If Daniel knew... She paused her thoughts and cast him another quick glance.

Oh, if only Daniel knew, then what? Her hand tightened on the siding of the cart. Daniel would know soon enough, and then Becky would have to decide what to do herself. She closed her eyes and asked her forbidden questions again. They just would not stop running through her mind. She had to question, she had to know.

Was it possible that all Weres weren’t all bad?

Was it possible that some should be allowed to live?

Was it, dare, was it possible that a Were might even be capable of...love?

“Here’s good!” Ted shouted over the cart’s engine to the cart’s driver. He pounded his hand against the metal siding for good measure. He jumped out before the vehicle came to a full stop, not too impressive since the thing had only been going about five miles per hour.

“Hey, hey! What about the body?” Terrik shouted as his twin walked toward the grey stone building.

“I dragged him out of the last building. You can bring him into the new one!” Ted shouted over his shoulder as he pulled open the large door.

“Unbelievable,” Terrik muttered under his breath.

With a growl, Becky reached over and shoved Terrik roughly. He quirked a slim, light brown eyebrow in response. “That’s my brother, you are talking about. He’s not just some body.”

Terrik raised in hands in surrender. “Okay, note to self: don’t piss off they scary lady.”

Becky had to restrain herself from shaking him. She eyed the taser attached to his hip as he slid out of the small cart. What she really wanted to do was grab that thing and use it on him...repeatedly.

She watched warily from the corner of her eye as Tiger grabbed Daniel’s legs and Terrik held Daniel’s chest. She hated that Weres were touching him, but at least he wouldn’t be dragged. Though, if Daniel had the option, he’d probably prefer being dragged.

Sighing, Becky turned her attention to Adina and carried the whimpering girl up to the building. Ted held the door open for her, and she bit her lip to refrain from saying thanks.

“This is one of our veterinary stations for animals too sick to stay in their containment zone. If you’ll follow me, there’s a private place in the back that’s more suitable for taking care of Weres. We can talk safely there.”