28. An Unknown Location

Ted Ramses felt a whole lot younger than he looked. The youthful adrenaline rushing through his body assured him he was sixteen. In reality, he was nearing his twenty-seventh birthday. As a youngster, he had enjoyed chases and playing the cop who would save the damsel from utter ruin. He innately enjoyed protecting and serving justice. Although the years had passed, his desires had not changed.

Working security for a zoo had its perks. There was no mistaking the thrill of chasing down lost kids or feeling the heat in his heart when he returned them to their parents. He had fun, and he served, without ever coming into danger. The times where danger was imminent, well, those were special times. 

In addition to service, Ted was exposed to many things at the zoo. He was constantly learning, and the childlike stars in his eyes never dimmed in their wonder and awe. He saw or heard something new nearly every day. Interestingly, some of the craziest things he observed were not from the animals, but from people.

For example, all Ted had to do was look at the couple passed out on the asphalt flooring of the bird sanctuary. Animals had routines. People? Quite unpredictable. The similarities were amazing, really, how humans could resemble odd behaviors and customs of the zoo’s animals. Sometimes, Ted forgot which ones belonged in cages and which ones deserved to go free. He pulled his walkie talkie out of his back pocket to radio his partner and twin, Terrik.  

“Yo, T-rock, you there?” 

The twin security guards were the only ones using that specific channel, so there was no need to use names. However, Ted knew he’d get on his twin’s nerves with the childhood nickname. Sure enough, a tart replied crackled back.

“Dammit, Ted, quick calling me that dumb-as-a-brick name! What do you want?”

Ted laughed as he pressed the heel of his leather boot into the leg of the male laying at his feet. “I need you to come provide some assistance. I’ve got one shirtless male and one pant-less female, both are passed out, and when they wake, it ain’t gonna be pretty.”

“Is it pretty now?” Terrik cooed over the walky.

Ted tilted his head and examined the scene thoughtfully. “Actually, yeah, it kind of is. I tasered the dude while he was holding the girl so they were simultaneously shocked. Yet, the male managed to protect the female from the fall. He’s still holding her tight as we speak.”

“Ah, now that is cute. Where are these lovebirds at?”

“Damn if you don’t already know. They’re in the bird sanctuary.”

“Well, I’ll be. How did I know that? I’ll be right--” There was a paused before the large door opened. “Here,” a strong voice answered in person. Terrik tsked at the sight and walked forward. He too pressed his foot against Daniel’s leg, making sure he was out cold.

Terrik raised his bright blue eyes to examine the rest of the scene. He recognized the dark skinned male immediately and tilted his head in a friendly gesture. “Tiger,” he greeted with a smile.

Tiger nodded back and extending his hand. The two shook and gave a quick hug.

“How’s your mate?” Terrik asked. “She keeping you on your toes?”

Before Tiger could answer, Ted jumped in with a comment. “Is she grabbing your tail too? Scratching behind your ears? Doing all them things I know you cats love to do? She making you purr less, growl more?” Ted winked.

Tiger rubbed his head, flinging the hat off and giving thanks that his head was smooth again. Was he ashamed to say that he was separated from his mate? Heat flood his cheeks. He would have to admit that he couldn’t protect her on his own. What a pathetic admission for a mate. 

He coughed to clear his throat and answered softly, “I’m flying out to see her soon. As soon as I can get untangled from this mess.” Tiger emphasized his point by tapping Daniel with his sneaker-covered foot.

“Ah,” Ted answered, smacking his lips.

“Will someone, please, tell me what the heck is going on?”

The three still-conscious males all turned to an icy women. Her green eyes were like shards and her blonde hair was just as sharp. She might have been beautiful, but they knew she was mad and dangerous. She stood and walked toward the group, but kept her distance. Becky was easily outnumbered. Her instincts told her either the security guards were either humans that knew about Weres or they were Weres. No matter which was truth, she had to be on her guard, for her sake as well as Adina’s and Daniel’s.

“Sure thing, sweetheart. Let’s just take this inside, first. Can’t risk children coming in here with a sight like this, can we?” Ted asked, staring back at the couple at his feet.

“No, we can’t,” Terrik responded, his eyes fixed firmly on Becky. He lifted his chin and his nostrils flared as his irises constricted. “You mated, honey?”

Becky growled and crossed her arms over her chest. “None of your business.” If she was standing closer to him, she would have slapped him. Weres, she growled in a thought.

“Alright. Can’t blame a guy for wondering. You just got that weird scent on you. Like you were mated, but that’s not you who’ve been mating recently, if you know what I mean.”

Becky’s fists clench as her arms lowered to her side. She took a menacing step forward, her voice icey. “I do know what you mean and as I said before: None of your business.”

Terrik raised his hands in surrender. “Okay. Meant no harm.”

Ted stepped in, gesturing down to Adina and catching Becky’s attention. “Honey, you mind picking her up? When the male wakes, I think he’ll respond better if his mate has female scent on her rather than male. Especially when she’s got no pants on...”

Becky’s blood chilled. She hated being called honey and secondly, “Adina is not Daniel’s mate. Humans don’t have mates.”

Tiger grunted. “You witnessed him just as I did. Humans don’t act like that.”

Becky’s fists tightened. “He’s been under a lot of stress.”

She was interrupted by Terrik snapping his fingers at her. 

“Let’s go, sweetheart. Time is of the essence here. Pick her up and let’s move this shindig to a safer location.” 

Ted was already lifting Daniel’s large body and dragging him out the door.

Becky sighed, thankful for weightlifting. She walked over, gently pulling the sweatpants back up Adina’s small legs and tightening the pull string. Gathering Adina into her arms, she stood, taking a moment to collect her balance, and the followed the three guys out the door and down to an unknown location.

omgg I love this story. i fall in love with all my characters, though. :( if only i could hug them like teddy bears forever. *sigh*