15. Mysterious, Beautiful Angel

Fifteen.

Adina did not remember waking. Her eyelids simply lifted like a sunflower following the path of the sun across the sky. The movement was natural, as if God intended it to be. 

The room was surprisingly small, but thankfully the walls stayed put. Adina did not think she had the strength to run should they creep in. A thin outline of the plaid curtains were the only indication the sun had risen outside . . . unless that was light from a lamp. 

The wooden walls and wooden furniture lay still and silent, while Adina sighed beneath a single white woven blanket. She did not notice she had lifted her head until the effort strained her neck. Groaning, she resigned herself to fully relax and lay back.  

Not in the least tired, Adina had no care in the world. No thoughts of the past. None for the future. She only comprehended the present as it came and then it was gone into oblivion. Her only desire was to lay on this cloud and embrace the tranquility that engulfed her. 

How unfortunate that a disturbance was in the room with her.

“Beautiful?” a voice called from somewhere in the distance. 

A smile formed on Adina’s lips at the sound. Warm like the sun and comforting like hope, Adina wanted to cuddle into the soft, timber sound. Was it an angel? Adina was ready to close her eyes, falling asleep to the beautiful voice, but she found a reason to keep her blue eyes wide open. An unknown being crouched before her.

“Captive, you’re awake,” the male stated longingly, as if he could not believe it was so. 

As his words flew through her mind without comprehension, Adina again lifted her head. She was very interested to inspect the specimen before her. He was the one with the heavenly voice! 

Adina licked her lips as she patiently observed his handsome face. He looked young, perhaps her age. His eyes were the lightest green she had ever seen, almost matching a yellow-green when the sunlight hit them right. They were curved into the most exhilarating shape, almost feminine and somewhat dangerous. Silky white blonde hair fell about his face, reaching his ears and eyes but not hiding his charm. 

‘He is beautiful,’ Adina thought wistfully. 

“How are you feeling?” he asked gently, bringing his face closer to hers. 

Adina thought he certainly looked like an angel. His lips were so smooth, perfectly matching his words and tone. His well-shaped jaw begged to be traced, but Adina found herself always peeking back at his captivating eyes. She felt trapped within those light pools, but contentedly so.