23. He Said Firmly

Adina sighed deeply, loving the comfortable feel of her dorm’s mattress. She did not think it was too hard or too soft, but just right. On that thought, she snuggled deeper beneath her blankets. Reaching up under her pillow, she patted her hand around, searching for her cell phone. When it was not to be found, she grudgingly sat up and moved her pillows. No cell phone. Adina stood and looked through her sheets and on the floor and under the bed. Still no phone.

Biting her lip and hands perched on her hips, she tried to place where she had last seen it. Hmm. Head cocked to the side, she contemplated her dream. Had it been a dream? She looked down at her hand and ran a finger over two little scars. Nah, that could just be her mind playing tricks on her. None of it felt real, and feelings were important, right?

Still, Adina thought it made sense to knock on Caroline’s door. If anything, her friend would at least be able to call her phone and help her find out. Stepping into her warm and fuzzy bunny slippers, Adina adjusted her blue and white stripped pajamas and headed down the hall to Caroline’s door. 

After only two knocks, the door swung open sharply. Adina’s jaw dropped. Tiger stood before her with nothing covering his chest. 

“Oh my,” she said, her eyes trailing lower and lower and lower. Was this a sculpture before her or a man?

“A-hem,” his voice broke through. 

A finger ducked under Adina’s chin and propelled her to look up. Wishing for a stuffed animal to hold and hide behind, Adina reluctantly met Tiger’s waiting eyes.

“Hi,” she breathed. Little by little her cheeks inflamed a bright red as if someone let of fireworks inside. How could she stare at him like that? He was Caroline’s boyfriend, for goodness’ sake! 

When Tiger pulled his hand back, Adina caught a flash of gold around his finger. Ah! He was worse than Caroline’s boyfriend: they were married!!

“I am so sorry,” Adina started. “I don’t know how that happened. I--”

Tiger waved her off, thankful Caroline was not there to see that. Thankful Adina’s mate was not there to have witnessed it. 

Turning his back to the door, he began packing more of Caroline’s things into boxes. She was going to be so pissed when they arrived. Tiger smiled inside. His mate had this weird idea that her belongings could only be shipped in suitcases and traveling cases--never large, cardboard boxes. She amused him.

“Woah, what happened to Caroline’s stuff?” Adina asked. Caroline’s closet, hair products, and shoe-decor were all gone. Half of the room was in disorder, while the other half was gone or untouched.

“Caroline’s moving out. She’s going to stay with my family for awhile.”

“What? Why?” Adina’s heart broke. Caroline left her without saying goodbye?

“It’s just safer this way. That’s all.”

“Safer?”

“Oh my God, Adina!” a feminine voice shouted. “Adina, is that you?” the voice called. Adina turned just in time to see Tabitha’s body come into view through the open door. “Thank God!” the resident assistant shouted before pulling Adina into a tight hug. “Where the hell have you been, young lady?”

“Um...sleeping? I only came in here about two minutes ago,” Adina answered with a yawn.

“No, you silly goose, I mean this weekend. We were scared crazy about you.”

“Ummm,” Adina stalled. She did not know how to answer that question. She looked to Tiger for support, but he was merely watching the two girls with curious eyes.

“The party?” Tabitha suggested, trying to get Adina’s mind working.

Adina frowned. “Wait, did I really go to that?”

Tabitha threw her arms in the air. “I don’t know. Friday night you hustled down the hall saying you were going to a party. Then early yesterday morning, Sadie comes stumbling through hall quite intoxicated. She says you didn’t go. We couldn’t get a hold of you, and now all of a sudden, here you are!” Tabitha finished in an exasperated shout.

Adina’s lip trembled and her pale blue eyes widened. Had her dream really happened? “Are you mad at me?” she asked bravely. Inside, she felt like she was going to crumble. 

“No, but I’m frustrated.....Actually, yes, I am mad at you, Adina! You have me so worried!” Before Adina could cry, Tabitha hugged her tightly, like a worried mother would clutch their child.

“Call next time, okay?” Tabitha commanded softly.

Adina nodded. “But can you help me find my cell phone? I looked everywhere and couldn’t find it.”

Tiger coughed, and the two girls looked over to him. “You left your cell in your car, which is still at Devil’s Den.”

“Oh,” Adina said. Her heart froze. Then her dream might not have been just a dream. She tucked her arms to her chest, and Tiger was very aware of her fingers running over a certain spot on the back of her hand.

“Devil’s Den? So you did go to the party? What happened, Adina?”

“I don’t remember, okay? Can we please just not talk about it?” Adina felt like she was going to break down or be sick. She didn’t want to talk about her brush with death nor how she abandoned the guy responsible for saving her. Tears welled in her eyes. She just wanted to forget that she left Chester so rudely, that she had cheated on Daniel.

“Adina,” Tabitha cooed, seeing her friends distress. “If something happened, if you were raped--”

“No!” Adina shouted, pulling back from Tabitha’s embrace. “I wasn’t...I don’t think...” But as she thought, she couldn’t be sure. Feeling sick, she gave Tabitha a frightened look. There were some holes in her memory. Had Chester tried anything while she was sleeping? He certainly had while she was awake... 

“You’re looking really pale, Adina. Come sit down.”

As Tabitha steered Adina to Caroline’s bed, she got a good look of Caroline’s mishap of a room. “My Lordy, what is going on in here?” she asked, giving the room a full look.

“Caroline went home,” was all Tiger answered. 

Tabitha frowned at the young man. She didn’t trust him, and she didn’t know him all that well, but she knew he was a vault. If he didn’t want to talk, he wouldn’t. 

“Uh-huh,” Tabitha replied to his comment. “I’ll be giving her a call later.”

“Fine,” Tiger grunted, going back to packing. 

Music began to flood the small room, and Tabitha pulled her phone from her back jean pocket. Giving the caller-id an odd look, Tabitha answered with a frown, “Becky, how are ya?”

Adina sat up at the sound of Becky’s name. She dearly missed her friend. But thoughts of Becky brought thoughts of Dan, and thoughts of Dan broke her heart.

“Woah, woah, woah! Calm down, Becky!” Tabitha commanded pointedly, using her authoritative voice. “What do you mean you think Adina is dead?” At that the room stilled, Tiger’s and Adina’s eyes on Tabitha, and Tabitha’s eyes on Adina. “Adina is here with me at the school. She’s fine, a little shaken up, but she’s very much alive.” There was a brief silence. “Yes, I am a hundred percent sure it is Adina. Looks like her, sounds like her, feels like her, even dresses like her! It’s her, and I’m looking at her right now. What is going on?”

There was a pause before Tabitha shouted, “Don’t hang u--gah! What the heck?” She pulled the phone away from her and stared at it in shock. She looked up a moment later. “Do either of you know what is going on right now? Because if this is a joke, it’s not funny.”

Adina shook her head, but Tiger stood. Pulling his shirt back on, he had a tingle in the back of his spine. He might know something, but he certainly know someone who did.

Putting his hand upon Adina’s shoulder, he gestured for her to get up. “We need to have a talk with your boyfriend,” he said firmly.