18. Of Her Control

“I don’t get it,” Caroline stated. “Why’d we stop?”

She and Tiger were standing to the edge of one of the smaller paths.

Caroline was digging her manicured nails into the covered skin of her hips while Tiger was crouching near the ground. His chocolate eyes were searching over the ground while his nose took calculated inhales.

“Tiger! I’m talking to you!” Caroline cried, annoyed at being ignored, not to mention confused and worried. Was Adina buried in the ground near here? What other reason was there to stop in the middle of a nowhere path?

“Tiger, for the--”

“Dammit, woman, leave me alone!” Tiger cried in his own frustration. “I’m trying to think!”

Caroline scowled and crossed her arms over her chest. It took a great deal of willpower to not reach her leg out and kick her husband. She certainly thought about it though.

Tiger growled at the ground before standing up harshly. He walked to Caroline’s side and paced around her, trying to use her scent and nearness to calm down.

Caroline laid her offense aside when she saw how Tiger was acting. This clearly wasn’t good. Was Adina dead and he didn’t want to tell her?

“Tiger,” Caroline soothed, reaching out to hold him within her arms. “Talk to me.”

“This isn’t good,” Tiger breathed, his voice turning hoarse. His eyes darted across the area as if he were seeing too much. His body began to shake, and when Caroline saw his body start to morph, she knew she had to act fast.

“Tiger!” she called and pressed her lips to his. “Tiger look at me. Look. at. me,” she commanded. She needed to keep his focus on herself, nothing else. Just her. “That’s it, baby, calm down. It’s just you and me right now.”

Tiger forced himself to remain looking in Caroline’s soft eyes. He let her voice sing to him and pacify his insides.

Eventually he was strong enough to close his eyes and finish putting the beast to rest himself.

When he reopened his eyes, Caroline was ready.

“What was that?” she asked.

Tiger pulled Caroline securely to his chest. “C’mon. I need to get you out of here. We’ll talk while we eat.”

Forty minutes and numerous dodged questions later, Caroline was digging her nails into the crappy wooden table in the restaurant. Whatever Tiger had found had obviously unnerved him. Out of love, Caroline didn’t want to push, but even she had her limits. Curiosity and worry were about to take over her actions.

“It’s Adina,” Tiger finally spilled.

Caroline frowned. “Where?” She took a quick glance around the place to find nothing. “What’s Adina?”

“Where we stopped . . .”

Caroline was really getting worried now.

“Her scent kind of just dropped off,” Tiger continued.

“What do you mean ‘kind of just dropped off’? Like, she was abducted by aliens?”

Tiger didn’t smile, but lowered his voice and leaned into Caroline’s body. “Or was claimed by a Were.”

Caroline’s heart jumped. “Oh . . . Are you sure?”

Tiger shrugged. “Her scent had shifted in the way it can only when a human has been given a claiming mark. I could smell the remaining scent of someone else in the area. He had to have been in the same place at the same time as Adina. The markings indicate a Were got her, but I can’t be sure what breed. Whatever it was, it covered it’s path well. If you are not a Were, you will not be able to track them.”

“But you are one so you can still find her, right?”

Tiger licked his lips. “Baby, you’re not listening to me. Adina has been bitten. She has been marked. By a Were. Do you remember when we talked about the marks over break? What is the only reason a Were would ever bite a human in that manner?”

“Oh my God.” Caroline’s heart stopped for the second time. “Adina has a mate?” She could not believe it.

“More like Adina’s mate has her. And I’m willing to go look, but honey, I’ve got to warn you: Nothing good can come from our interference. I know she’s your friend, but Weres don’t mark what isn’t ours. There is nothing I can do to bring her back. You understand? Nothing. Weres retaliate when our mates are messed with. If I push with Adina, whoever mated her may come after you, and I will not risk losing you. And if Daniel catches wind of this, I can’t risk our family being caught in his war.”

“B-but, you’ll still go, right? I mean, this is Adina. Adina, Tiger! What if she isn’t happy? What if he tries something or hurts her?”

Tiger pulled Caroline into his chest, trying to console her fears. There was really no way to have her understand. Certainly no way that would help her feel better. How could he explain that Adina’s opinion on the matter didn’t really . . . well, matter. A mate is a mate. There’s no argument, bartering, or compromise. It just is. You live with it or die.

“Of course I’ll go, but remember, it’s you over her, baby. And if it comes to saving your friend or protecting you and our baby, it will be you every time - no matter how upset that might make you.”

Caroline nodded. “Okay, but will you go now? Please? I’m scared for her Tiger. This is Adina, sweet little naive Adina. I don’t even want to imagine what horrible reaction she’ll have when she learns of the existence of Weres and mates and--”

Tiger cut his wife off with a pressing kiss and he let his lips linger in reassurance.

“Let me get you home safe first, and then I’ll be on my way. Okay?” he asked when he finally moved back.

Caroline nodded tiredly. She knew there was nothing she could do, and the knowledge zapped both her energy and her will. Was there any point or reason to hope when everything was out of her control?