22. One Last Time

“Adina!” a voice shouted in the night. The sound was followed by the ruffling of night life and footsteps fast approaching.

Adina gasped. Whoever called out knew who she was, but she did not recognize the voice. Gripping the wooden rail with all the strength her little hands could manage, she peered into the bleak night with a frown. There! A large mass of shadow was running toward her. She took a step back and filled her lungs with air, prepared to scream when Tiger ran into the clearing. His body was illuminated just enough by the porch light for Adina to recognize him.

“Tiger?” she questioned, confused as to his presence.

“We need to go. Now!” he growled, his voice a low rumble. He ran up the few porch steps and grabbed her arm before hauling her back in the direction he had just come from. Adina stumbled and tried to pull her arm free. She could not move as fast as he could. 

“Tiger, I’m barefoot. And I don’t feel so good, and I think Chest--” 

In a millisecond, Tiger had Adina’s back pushed against a tree and his hand covering her mouth with a fierce grip. Adina’s breath caught when she noticed his eyes glowing in the black night.

“For the love of all things living, don’t say his name!” Tiger growled, his voice animalistic. “I am risking my neck for you. I am risking Caroline’s and our baby’s life. Now shut up and don’t make me regret my decision to help. Just run.”

Not giving her a second to think, he grabbed her arm and began sprinting a path in the woods. Adina cried in confusion and in pain. No one had ever yelled at her like that. Had she done something wrong? If so, what? Why was Caroline’s life in danger? What was going on? 

Adina screamed when a rock sliced her foot, but Tiger did not slow or loosen his grip. Adina struggled to keep up with him. The distance was short but felt so long before they broke through the trees and ran onto a gravel parking lot. 

Tiger shoved Adina into the front passenger seat and darted over to the driver’s side. They were peeling out in under ten seconds. 

Tiger’s canines were digging into his lips the whole drive home. His knuckles furry and tight, claws extended into the leather steering wheel. He was speeding, but he did not care. His eyes flicked to the dashboard, constantly making sure they would have enough gas. 

Adina was able to stop crying after about ten minutes, but she figured it was either a lack of water to make tears or fatigue. Possibly both. She felt drugged, utterly exhausted. Her head fell against the side window and slid down. She might have felt self-conscious had she not passed out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Tiger, what happened? Is she alright?”

Adina struggled to open her eyes as she awoken to a fog. She thought she could recognize that feminine voice.

“I may have scared her,” Tiger grunted.

Adina frowned and tried to roll over, but whatever was holding her tightened its grip. She tried to push against the block she was up against. The firm block felt much harder than the leather seat she fell asleep on.

“Adina, it’s Caroline. If you can hear me, calm down! Tiger’s just carrying you to your room,” Caroline’s gentle voice reprimanded. 

Adina shook her head and tried to move out of Tiger’s grip, not feeling comfortable in his arms one bit, but Caroline’s hands helped still her. 

A moment later, Adina felt herself being laid down upon soft, familiar sheets. Burying her nose into her plush blanket, the strong scent of coconuts filled her senses. Peaking open a dry and crusty eye, she looked around the small room. She was back in her dorm room!