Chapter 40

LIANNA'S P.O.V

When I walked through the front door, my mother approached me with ease and I handed her the photograph.

"That's him," I grinned. "That's Harry."

Her eyes widened in surprise as she brought the picture closer to her face.

"Oh my, Lianna." A large cheesy grin spread across my mother's face. "He's very handsome." She giggled.

'Was very handsome', I mentally corrected her.

"I didn't expect him to be such a... how do you say it," She brought a finger to her chin and tilted her head. "Fit lad..." She smirked, her thick French accent loud and cheery.

A large toothy grin spread across my face, my rosy cheeks rose high and for the first time in a long time, I laughed. Properly laughed. It felt good to remember that familiar ache in my abdomen. I hunched over, pawing at my stomach.

"Oh, mama." I giggled.

She held the picture up and grinned.

I walked towards her, taking the photograph from her hands. This is what I needed. With this photo, I would never forget his face, never forgot his full pink lips, his childlike smirk, his dark chocolate curls, and his enthralling green eyes that held so much warmth and light.

"When he smiled, it was as if the whole world stopped," I shut my eyes as if trying to recall every detail about that all too familiar smirk "And everything blurred except for his face and that damn smile." I grinned and blushed with embarrassment.

My mother only returned the smile.

All of a sudden I was pulled back to the reality of my situation.

I would never see that smile again, I reminded myself and my face fell.

I furrowed my brows and pursed my lips.

"I miss him." I whispered, my voice barely audible.

"Oh my darling." My mother approached me with sympathy, taking me into her arms.

I tried so hard not to cry, it was all I'd been doing these past three months and I was sick of it.

I sighed in defeat as a single tear slipped down my cheek and onto my mother's shoulder.

----

The next morning, I left early to start my shift at the nursing home.

"Morning Marlena." I grinned as I approached the elderly woman. "How are we today?

"Well," Marlena sighed. "This damn hip is becoming a real pain in my backside." She raised her thin brows in disappointment.

"That's why I have these for you." I smiled and handed her two large painkillers.

"Ooh." Her eyes widened. "Thank you, dear." She popped the pills into her mouth before chasing them with a glass of water.

"How was your trip to Holmes Chapel?" She asked, fiddling with the white sheets of the bed she rested in.

"It was—" Moments later we were interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Lianna." The nurse, Kit called. "We need you down in Tommy's room."

I nodded Kit's way and bid Marlena a quick goodbye. "I'll be back later," I assured her with a grin.

I walked towards Kit who was waiting for me patiently at the door. "What's the matter this time?" I asked, adjusting my uniform.