Chapter 38

HARRY'S P.O.V

3 MONTHS EARLIER.

The truck came to a sudden halt and my body lurched forward.

"Careful Arthur!" I heard someone shout out.

The nurse above me continued to press against my chest wound. "Where's a stretcher?" She yelled. "And get me a doctor, this one doesn't have long."

The back doors to the truck opened and I felt myself being pushed and then lifted. The fresh breeze whipped at my cheeks as they carried me out and towards the hospital.

My entire body ached and throbbed with pain.

The wound in my chest felt like someone was ripping me open from the inside out, clawing and scratching against my flesh.

Screams and cries filled my ears before my eyes processed the scene before me. We entered a narrow hospital tent and my eyes instantly scanned the area. A long row of beds sat in a neat and tidy line, some occupied with patients, others not.

I felt hands around me, then my body lift from the stretcher and onto the bed.

I groaned as my body hit the base.

I shifted my gaze towards the throbbing ache in my hand but couldn't see anything, there was too much blood. Through my blurry vision, I saw a doctor in a white coat approach my bed and instantly pull at the gauzes in my chest.

"We need anesthetic." The nurse to my left called out.

"We don't have time." The doctor responded. "Get me some Merthiolate, a pack of gauzes and my medical kit." Despite the situation, his voice was calm.

Moments later I felt a sharp ache in my chest then an intense stabbing pain. I screamed and yelled, throwing my head back against the pillow.

"Here put this in his mouth so he doesn't bite off his own tongue." I heard a voice suggest.

The feeling of cloth being shoved into my mouth muffled my screams but didn't ease my pain.

The only comfort I sought, was to think of her.

To think of Lianna.

Her eyes, her smile, her warmth.

I imagined her beside me, whispering words of reassurance.

'You're going to be alright.' She said. 'I'm waiting for you, just hold on.'

I fought to stay awake but my eyes grew heavy and dreary.

--------

I blacked out and woke up four days later.

My eyes fluttered open, and my hand instantly went to the wound in my chest. It was covered with a thick layer of cloth and bandages. I felt no pain, but the dull ache of hunger in my stomach.

I hadn't noticed the doctor beside me until he spoke. "Uhh, nice of you to finally join us." His accent was thick and deep, but I wasn't sure if it was French. "I'm Doctor Hasni." He greeted.

Doctor Hasni was a short man with a thin frame, his hair was sparse and grey and his nose was long and narrow.

"What happened?" My voice croaked and I cleared it.

"You were shot down in Ypres, my people saved you brought you here and now you're in recovery." He spoke casually.

"Where.. where's here?" I replied, my voice still hoarse and gruff.