Chapter 9

Lianna's P.O.V

"Have you been to Le Havre before?" Esma asked curiously as I sat on the bed, fidgeting with the charm bracelet around my wrist.

"Yea, once, when I was a kid. Mum and I took a trip to France when I turned fifteen." I smiled at the memory. "It was probably the most fun we've had together, we drank too much wine and ate all day long." I chuckled.

"That sounds like a dream." Commented Evie from across the room. I hadn't realised she'd been listening but she stared at me wide-eyed. 

"It really was." I sighed

"Oh my gosh!" I jumped up from the bed in a moment of realisation, startling Esma in the process. "I just remembered, there was this amazing theme park, here in Le Havre, oh my gosh Esma you'd love it!" I spoke with enthusiasm. "You all would!" I raised my voice, attracting the attention of the other girls. "I hope it's still there."

"That sounds fun!" Evie jumped from her bed, joining me in excitement.

"A theme park, haven't been to one of those in ages," Esma spoke with amusement. "Well, let's go then, what are we waiting for!" She cheered.

"I don't know, I mean it sounds fun and all but aren't theme parks a little... childish, not to mention dirty." Daisy interrupted with her opinion.

I rolled my eyes and clenched my jaw in frustration. Daisy's comment was no surprise to me, she was being difficult as usual. "You're more than welcome to stay here then." I pointed out. "Ready girls?" I spoke eagerly, smoothing a hand across the front of my dress and making way towards the door.

"Um, excuse me!" Daisy squealed. "I'm not staying here by myself!"

"Then I guess you're coming with us," I spoke, not bothering to face Daisy as Esma, Evie and I walked out the door.

--

The theme park bustled with liveliness. I watched in delight as the people of Le Havre hurried about with enthusiasm, their spirits were obviously not dampened despite the countries state of war. This new and different environment was refreshing, everyone shared a similar interest to take part in the joyous anticipation of amusement and entertainment. The aroma of popcorn and fairy floss lingered around my nostrils.

"Fairy floss!!!!" Esma squealed, running to the stall and returning with a large pink fluff of candy. She shoved some in my mouth and I exhaled in bliss, welcoming the sweet and sugary flavours.

"Come on, I want to ride the Ferris wheel." I rushed into the line, both Esma and Evie eagerly following.

"Uh, I'll just watch," Daisy spoke before taking a seat on a nearby bench.

"Suit yourself." Esma retorted.

The large metal wheel creaked as the individual carts which suspended from the outer edges, rotated slowly. We entered the small carriage, bursting with excitement. The sight was breathtaking, so picturesque and relaxing. We had a clear view of Le Havre port and its waters. The sun pierced through the clouds, hitting the ocean, causing it to sparkle and glisten. The wind was cool but refreshing and blew my hair around my shoulders. We all stayed silent, just taking in the view and appreciating the serenity of the moment. As the ride took its time rotating around the wheel, I felt complete calmness flood my senses. My hair blew in the wind as I turned to face Esma, with her eyes wide with bliss she gave me a toothy grin and laughed.  

"That was lovely." Evie spoke softly as we exited the carriage.

"I forgot how beautiful France was," I replied with a grin. "How much I loved it."

"Despite our reason for being here, I feel so... carefree." Esma giggled, dancing about, the wind blowing the bottoms of her dress around.

"I know right, I'm so---" I was suddenly interrupted by Daisy's firm and desperate grip on my arm.

"Oh, my gosh, Lianna, Lianna!" She spoke frantically, eyes electric and a smile too wide for her mousy face. "He's here the soldier! Harry! He's at the theme park, over there!" Daisy pointed towards a tall man throwing darts at balloons. For a moment I doubted her discovery as i turned towards the balloon stand. There were many British soldiers in France who were tall with dark hair, however, when he turned around, eyes beaming with joy and grin wide and dimpled i knew it was Harry.