Chapter 28

The next morning, I was discharged from the hospital. I was given a sling to rest my casted arm in, some clean water and fruit for breakfast. Eager to get out of the place, I quickly changed into my uniform and with the help of Nurse Randall braided my hair back.

"Thank you." I smiled shyly, slightly embarrassed at needing assistance to complete such a simple task like braiding my hair. "It's just hard to do things with this cast and all."

"Not a problem my love." Nurse Randall's lips spread into a toothy grin. "Now you take care of yourself and remember that cast isn't waterproof, so don't go splashing about in any streams or rivers." She warned, eyes focused on my medical chart which rested in her hands.

I nodded, pulling my rucksack onto my back. "Thank you, Nurse Randall." Her hazel eyes met mine. They were warm and kind.  "I wish you all the best," I spoke sincerely, attempting a smile.

She sighed into a grin. "May this war be quick and brief."

I left the room.

Before he'd left last night, Harry had told me Fergus' room number and wing. As I made my way to room 53 and wing 4, I couldn't help the guilt that overcame me as I watched the scene before me. Men with missing limbs and gunshot wounds lay screaming in their blood covered beds, clawing at their sheets in agony. I peered my head into each room to be met with a situation, only worse than the previous one. Whilst several nurses and surgeons tended to each patient, I sensed a struggle. A blood-curdling cry echoed from the last room in the wing. Out of concern, I entered. A young red headed nurse struggled to contain her patient, he was thrashing about in pain at the sight of his missing arm. I ran over in desperation, and with my only available arm, pushed the man down by his bare chest as the nurse fumbled for a tourniquet.

"Do you need help?" The words tumbled out of my mouth. 

"Y-yes." She mumbled incoherently, nodding her head furiously. "This one needs surgery, I need you to help me get him to the operating theatre." She said in a panic. We wheeled the bed through several doors and then finally the surgical room. The redheaded nurse thanked me briefly and rushed back through the doors.

It was obvious that whilst this hospital was beneficial in its size and supplies, there was a shortage of actual medical professionals. A sudden idea struck me. What if I stayed here in Namur hospital. I could tend to the sick and wounded for a while and then evacuate at Dunkirk when things were more settled.  It was dangerous and risky but I felt it was my duty as a nurse. It was blatantly obvious that help was needed, help that I could provide.

I quickly made my way to Fergus' room where I was met with a cheery Harry and a boasting Pete.

"Morning lass!" Fergus beamed.

"Hello," I chuckled at his enthusiasm. "How are you feeling? All better?" I asked, making my way towards his bed.

"Bloody fantastic!" He cheered. "How's the uh—arm." He cocked his brown head of hair reluctantly.

"Bloody fantastic," I replied just as enthusiastically. The boys grinned and my eyes met Harry's, they were soft and wide. His brown curls were pushed back on his head and his dimples were showing. He winked at me and then turned his attention back to Fergus. I'm not sure what it was about that wink but I suddenly felt myself go all mushy, my cheeks felt hot and I could feel a red blush begin to spread.

I suddenly noticed Daisy's obvious absence.

"Where's Daisy?" I questioned.

"She went out looking for food," Fergus replied.

"Good idea," I said and headed for the door. Stocking up on canned food was a sensible move, who knew how long we'd be at Dunkirk for.

"I'm coming!" Harry dawdled to the exit.