Chapter 23

I woke at sunrise the next morning, rubbing lazily at my eyes. Yawning as I combed my fingers through my hair, I began to reminisce about last night with Harry. I could still feel his touch on my skin. His desperate and hungry touch. Harry only had two hands, but somehow, they'd been everywhere. My thighs, my breasts, my hair, my waist.

I grinned foolishly, rolling over on my stomach. My eyes scanned Daisy's sleeping form, which curled into a ball. Like me, she was still dressed in her nurse's uniform, but unlike me, I was sure she still had her undergarments on, not left behind in Harry's bedroom.

I suddenly felt stabbing pains in my stomach and chest. I assumed it was hunger. The gurgling whirling feeling was my stomach acid turning over with nothing to work on. Yesterday's events had left no time for food. My stomach was empty. To distract my mind from the wasted gnawing pain of hunger, I retrieved my rucksack from the bottom of the bed and pulled the zipper back, hoping to find some sort of snack or canned something. I brought out every item from my bag, laying it out on the bed in front of me. I had;

· 1 BAR OF SOAP

· 1 TUBE OF PEROXIDE, BAKING SODA, AND A TOOTHBRUSH.

· 3 FIRST-AID KITS

· 1 BOTTLE OF WATER

· 1 CAN OF SPAM

· THE FRENCH POETRY BOOK FROM HARRY

Taking my water bottle, the bar of soap as well as the peroxide, baking soda and toothbrush, I made my way to the bathroom. In comparison to the house, the bathroom was small and structured. It was tiled and cold but had a large white sink and bath. Twisting the tap, I waited with my hands under the faucet for several minutes, hoping for the cool relief of water. Much to my disappointment, nothing came out. The pipes had probably been shut off as the electricity had. I sighed in defeat and took a step back from the sink. Using the smallest amount of water from my bottle, I brushed my teeth with the peroxide and baking soda and scrubbed my face clean with the bar of soap. As much as I wanted to wash the rest of my body from yesterday's muck, I had to save my water. I took a small sip from the bottle and moaned at the cool relief that trickled down my dry throat.

Using the mirror in front of me, I braided my hair and took to examine my appearance. My eyes were wide and awake, despite the bags that lay beneath them. My skin looked soft and clean thanks to the bar of soap and my lips and cheeks were slightly red with windburn. Despite my clean face, the rest of my body still remained covered in blood and dirt.

Startled at the soft knock on the bathroom door, I jumped.

"One second!" I yelled, gathering my belongings into my hands. Pulling back the door, my heart raced at the sight of Harry before me, hair messy, lips swollen and dressed in his uniform.

"Good morning." I grinned shyly, my mind jumping back to last night.

"Morning." Harry smirked, moving past me and into the bathroom. He held his rucksack in his left hand and a bottle of water in the other.

"Water's not working." I pointed to the sink, sighing in frustration. Harry turned to me and his eyes met mine. My cheeks were turning red under his gaze. "Want to use my soap and brush?" I asked with a toothy smile, holding up the bar of soap, the peroxide, baking soda, and toothbrush.

"Yea, thanks." He took the items, his hand lightly brushing against mine. I watched in awe as he scrubbed his face and teeth until they were sparkling clean.

"What do you think?" He asked me jokingly, grinning from ear to ear to reveal a row of pearly white teeth. His dimples were now showing and I chuckled, poking at one of them.

"Perfect." I leaned in and kissed him softly. As I pulled away his arm wrapped around my waist, only pulling me closer. He crashed his lips against mine and this time, his tongue entered my mouth and one of his hands went to my braid. Harry kissed me passionately and just as desperately as he had last night.

I pulled away from him and we gazed at one another in silence. "I'm starving!" I groaned, throwing my head back.

"Me too," Harry smirked and leaned down to kiss my neck. I grinned, taking my toiletries from the sink bench and heading towards the door.

"I'm going to go wake Daisy up," I said over my shoulder, walking towards our bedroom.

When I opened the bedroom door, Daisy was already awake.

"Morning." I grinned politely.

"Morning." She replied, sighing in frustration. "I'm hungry, what do you have in your rucksack?" Daisy asked, snatching my rucksack from the end of my bed.

"A can of spam, you?" I asked.

"A can of beans. I hate beans!" She groaned, scrunching up her nose. Pulling out the can of spam from my bag, Daisy peeled the top open and reached in before I could stop her.

"Daisy! Stop!" I yelled, running over and snatching back the spam. "What are you doing?" I asked her with my brows furrowed.

"What Lianna? I'm hungry!" She shook her head, obviously annoyed.

"We're all hungry, but we have to ration," I replied, watching Daisy as she got up and out of the bed. "Just bring your beans and meet me in the living room." I stormed out, ready to pull my hair out in frustration.

Pete, Fergus, and Harry were already in the living room when I walked in. Pete stood beside Harry and Fergus sat in a chair with his leg perched up on a stool.

"Fergus! How are you feeling?" I asked, rushing to examine his wounds from yesterday, the can of spam still in my hand.

"Fine." He chuckled, shaking his head. Despite Fergus' reply, he looked paler than yesterday and his skin had a greenish hue to it.

"I'll change your bandage now then." I took a step, walking to retrieve my rucksack when Pete stood in front of me.

"How about we eat first, yea?" Pete insisted, patting his stomach. I was reluctant at first but then Fergus agreed.

Daisy soon dawdled in with her can of beans.

"Alright, everyone, what have you got," Harry said placing a can of beans on the table.

I followed soon after placing my can of open spam.

"I've got spam," I stated.

"Me too," Pete replied, placing his can down as well.

"Got some beans." Stated Fergus, holding out his can for Harry to take.

Daisy placed her can of beans down without a word.

"We searched the cupboards but found nothing." Stated Pete in frustration. "Fucking nothing!" he groaned.

"We'll have the beans and save the spam for later," Harry stated, sitting down.

Everyone took a seat. We rationed out the beans individually and devoured them within minutes. Harry ate his the fastest.

I then tended to Fergus's wounds.

"I wish you would've let me change your bandages last night," I stated with a groan, changing the bandage on Fergus' leg.

I was impressed with Fergus' leg wound which had begun to scab over nicely but his shoulder was considerably worse. There wasn't much I could do but clean the wound and freshly bandage it.

Just as I finished tending to Fergus' wounds, there was a loud thump heard from upstairs. Daisy, startled and frightened grabbed onto Harry's arm, Fergus' eyes widened and Pete snatched up his rifle in a panic.