Chapter 10

My eyes widened and my breath hitched in my throat. What were the chances that Harry was not only stationed in France's north but at Le Havre and visiting this very theme park today?  I couldn't help the feeling of excitement that drowned my senses. It was highly unlikely that Harry and I would meet again, but I guess fate has its peculiar ways of working.

"You have to set us up, oh you promised Lianna!" Daisy beamed with desperation, still tugging at my arm.

"Lianna!" Harry called, his face looking just as surprised as mine.

He began to make his way over, taking long and quick strides. He was dressed in his military uniform with his dark hair slicked to one side and his cap in his right hand. Goodness, he was handsome, so bloody handsome. His eyes, his smile, his lips. Everything about him was beautiful.

Harry's large grin radiated both confidence and charm as he approached, eyes wide and full of surprise.

"Harry!" I couldn't help the silly grin the spread across my face. "What are the chances?!" I almost went in for a hug but came to a sudden halt. "You're stationed in the Northern part of France!?" I questioned.

"Yes." He chuckled in disbelief, fidgeting with his cap. "I mean there was a change of plans, but we're here to stay." Harry's eyes locked with mine and didn't look away. They were so enthralling, his eyes, so welcoming and warm, you could get lost in those emerald pools without realising. I wanted to stare all day long but instead smiled awkwardly before quickly turning away.

"I can't believe it." I chuckled, shaking my head. Fergus now joined Harry, sharing a similar look of surprise.

"Lianna, how are ya lass?" He spoke eagerly, running a hand across the front of his uniform.

"Great!" I beamed. "I just can't believe you guys a—" Daisy nudged me aggressively and cleared her throat.

Bloody hell, she was annoying.

"Oh, right, yes, boys you remember my friend Daisy,"  I spoke with uncertainty, watching as Daisy twirled a blonde curl around her finger.

"Lovely to see you again." She squeaked, before leaning in to brush Harry's forearm. He smirked and nodded, eyes still fixated on my own, "likewise."

Evie and Esma had joined us now, curious about the two men we were talking to. Esma pinched the back of my arm roughly, something we'd done as young girls when we saw someone attractive.

"Ouch.." I whispered through gritted teeth, turning towards Esma. Her eyes were wide and curious.

"Harry and Fergus, this is Esma and Evie," I spoke confidently.

The boys nodded and held out their hands for the girls to shake.

"Esma," Harry grinned. "I've heard a bit about you, it's lovely to finally meet you sober." He shook her hand and she laughed.

Harry was silent for a minute as Esma informed the boys about our trip to France and the Ferris wheel ride.

"The view was amazing, oh my goodness, you guys have to go on the Ferris wheel!" Esma spoke with excitement.

"I remember," Fergus started. "Once I was on a Ferris wheel in Scotland, the machine was large and old and right in the middle of a ride the thing broke down." He chuckled, eyes wide and hands waving about.

"No!" Both Evie and Esma gasped. "What did you do??" Esma asked curiously.

Esma and Evie became fascinated in Fergus's story about the broken Ferris wheel and I tried to listen in but instead turned to face Harry.

"The view really was magnificent...you could see all of Le Havre." I added, "Maybe, we could go on it again, all together." I suggested casually.

"I've a better idea." Harry grinned, a glint of mischief evident in his stare. "Come with me." He took my hand into his suddenly, and we were off, heading towards the other end of the theme park.

I didn't bother to turn back to see Daisy's reaction.

"W-where are you taking me?" I questioned playfully, but he only turned around and grinned sheepishly. "What about the others?" I questioned.

"The others can wait." He smirked.

I didn't know what he was doing until he was pushing me through the entry way to a roller coaster ride.

'THE BIG DIPPER' the sign read.

My heart stopped. I was absolutely petrified of roller coasters and had refused all my life to ride one after a bad experience when I was ten. The screams around the park began to fill my ears and it's all I could focus on. My palms grew sweaty and my breathing shallow.

"Oh no Harry, I can't." I shook my head and began to head for the exit.

His large hands gently grasped my shoulders, turning me back around. "Yes, you can." His voice was soft and encouraging. With his body stationed behind mine, he pushed me gently back towards the entry.

Before I knew it, Harry and I were squeezed into the small rickety cart, with our legs pressed against one another and hands gripping the metal bar for support.

"Buckle up nurse Beauchamp." He teased "You're in for one hell of a ride." I gripped his arm and squeezed my eyes shut.

The climb to the top of the hill was slow and agonising. My breathing was heavy and my head felt heavy. I looked to my left to see the ground below me, inching away as we made our way further to the top. It wasn't heights that I was afraid of, it was falling off the roller coaster and plummeting to my death.

"Bloody hell. Jesus Christ... Harry, I don't know if I can do this." I gripped his arm tighter.

"Easy love." He whispered and it somehow reassured me slightly. "You'll be right."

As we reached the top my head was jumping with a million thoughts; the main one being fear. The train came to a sudden halt and I squealed. I turned to face Harry who was now grinning from ear to ear, obviously filled with adrenaline and excitement. "Just hold on tight." His dimples were showing now and despite the situation, I couldn't help but admire his beautiful smile at the very moment. Our eyes locked and once again found myself lost in them. We were now inches apart, our breathing both ragged and chests rising up and down,  I could even smell a hint of mint on his breath from the gum he was chewing.

I was too caught up in the moment with Harry, but before I knew it my heart was in my throat and my stomach dropped. The roller coaster was off. Harry's hands flew in the air and swayed about frantically. Screams and laughter filled the air as the coaster twisted and turned. I could hear myself screaming and gripped the metal bar tighter. I turned towards Harry who looked as if he was in a state of pure bliss. His hair was now messy, his eyes were wide and his smile looked brighter than usual.

I managed a laugh and began to enjoy myself as the wind blew through my hair, the speed increasing by the second. Before I knew it the adventure was over, leaving my head spinning in a way I had never imagined. I climbed out of my seat with shaky legs and a throbbing head. "Bloody hell," I muttered to myself. I was surprised when I felt Harry's hands grip my waist from behind to support my unsteady strides.

Neither Esma or the others were to be seen when we exited the ride. "Wow." I laughed and Harry turned to face me, his eyes starring into mine once again.