41

Elsa Winters

"Excuse me, Astrid. I'll talk to my honey-bunch-sugar-pie! We'll be right back.'' Jack forced up a smile and just before I could react against it or Astrid to say something, he grabbed me by the arm, yanking me away. It seems like a saddening scene-- you being taken away from the person you love as she stares right back unto you, as if she's begging to not go-- I'm dramatic, am I not?

By the grip of Jack's hand on my bicep, I knew it was something serious and undeniably unpleasant. The way his nails dug unto my skin, it proves that there's something really urget and I already knew it when I caught a glimpse of his face. I did not protest because I already knew what he would say once he closes the door in three counts.

Three.

Two.

One--

"She is not staying here with us." He whispered, tone dripping in pure seriousness. Shrugging, I plopped to the bed, not even looking at him. To be perfectly honest, I understand him. He doesn't want any strangers to live in his house but then, can't he do it for me? Although, Astrid and I had a bitter past, we are still interrelated.

"Don't tell me you wanted her to stay." He spoke, frowning at me.

"She's hitting at you but can't we just help her?" I sighed. It was evident that she was flirting at Jack. I mean, for the whole time that we sat there right in front of her, she was shooting Jack flirty gazes and some winks, as if she didn't saw my reaction. I wanted to be jealous and hide Jack somewhere in which she could no longer send him those oddly disgusting glances.

"That's the thing, Elsa!" Jack half whispered and half exclaimed. When I gave him another shrug, a grin formed on his lips. "She's hitting on me and I might fall in love for her."

Wait, did I heard that right?

"What did you say?" I asked, brows furrowing into a frown.

"I said that if she continues to hit on me, I might fall in love for her." He drawled out which had set my mood on fire.

If he falls in love with her or even finds himself liking her, I would be kicked out from this appartment. I would no longer recieve those morning kisses nor good night hugs. I would no longer be the special one in his eyes.

Without him, my life would be horrible.

But then, I wouldn't like her to experience the life I had in the streets. I'm not that evil to reject someone who's needy and asking for my help.

Sighing, I pushed myself off from the bed. Jack didn't mutter any words. He must've noticed my dampened mood for his gaze followed me, nonetheless. "Elsa, I was just j--"

"Jack, I know I have no right to say that she could stay with us since I never owned this apartment." I paused. "But please, let her stay even for three weeks."

"That's like one month already." He grumbled.

"One month it is."

***

After we had decided that Astrid would stay, Jack and I immediately headed down to the nearest Wallmart to buy some extra mattress and some pillows. Yes, I do not have any cash but Jack has.

He decided that it is best for us to use his bedroom and Astrid on the other room. I refused at first because the other room that he was referring to was a room inhabited by rats due to the fact that no one uses it anymore. Then, I was forced to agree when he told me that he was going to clean the room and going to get rid of the rats.

We were walking down the aisle of mattresses for probably an hour now. I was waiting for Jack to decide on what he would pick since he would be the one who will pay. I hadn't caught a glimpse of him when he disappeared through the layers of display mattress. I don't know to where he went and I just wish that he wasn't devoured by mattresses that eat humans.

"Let's go." I heard him speak beside me. Turning around, I found him holding bags of goodies and other stuff that we need in the apartment.

But he didn't bought any mattress.

"Where's the mattress?" My question seemed to slap him to realization. He immediately dropped the bags and pointed at the white mattress that was laid out for display.

"Let's buy that one."

So, he ended up paying for the mattress and we went home after a short drive that consisted of constant bickering because I wanted to listen to some metal songs and he, on the other hand, prefers some slow romantic blues.

And now, the taxi driver charged us double for the damage we caused.

Astrid welcomed us and helped me with the bags of things that I brought. She shared me stories about her pregnant aunt that carried too much grocery bags which caused her to be in labor a day earlier.

It doesn't have any connection to me carrying so much grocery bags but the way she told the story while looking at Jack made me think that she wants to be impregnated by him.

"Do you have any curfew?" She asked, taking out the bags of chips and placing them inside the cupboards.

"We don't have any curfew imposed, so, feel free to go back anytime you want--" I was cut off when Jack spoke up with a mischievious smile on his lips.

"Or never. You could also not go back here too!" He chirpped happily as I shot him a glare. Thankfully, Astrid took that as a joke and just laughed at Jack.

"You're so funny, Jack." To my surprise, she wrapped her arms around him and hugged Jack as if she never saw him for months. The look on his face was surprised too yet he hugged the girl back with all sincerity.

They stood there hugging and probably thinking about each other while I stood there, holding some newly bought knives as my hands itched to just stab them.

Or I could always burn them to death.

"As much as I hate to interrupt both of you from your bonding, can I talk to Jack for a minute?" I asked, plastering up a smile as I tried my very best to mask the irritation that radiates off of me. Astrid was hesitant at first but then she had pulled away from him when I could no longer contain the anger boiling inside of me. She shot me a smile and nodded.

"I'll be stacking these up in the cupboards." She said, picking up the bottles of spices and walked towards the cupboards. Jack, on the other hand, turned to look at me with a blank look on his face. For some reason, I find myself hating on how he looks at me right now, emotionless and--

"What are we supposed to talk about?" He asked, his tone dripping in the mixture of coldness and monotonous. I stared back at him, watching those cerculean eyes of him that were usually filled with warmth whenever he looks at me yet it seems like he changed.

Feigning a smile, I placed the knife back down onto the counter. "When are you going to clean the other room?"

"Probably later." He responded curtly as he seemed dazed. "I guess I was wrong about Astrid. She's fun, cute and we relate to each other!" Jack gushed, causing her to giggle.

"Aw, that's so sweet Jack!"

But it would be sweeter if I could rip your heads off and burn this apartment into ashes.

"Jack, the matress would arrive soon. I would be heading back to the bedroom. Call me if you need me." I forced up a smile and left the two.

I thought he hated her. What made him change?

***************

the end of school days is near and i am bombarded with so much work. exams would be this week as well as the deadlines of the projects....

anyways, this chapter kinda sucks and i would like to ask forgiveness for that.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Love y'all!

-diannedanica (rosecoloredboiii is a temporary username of mine)