Chapter TWENTY ONE

Thank you for supporting this book x

Chapter TWENTY ONE

Claire sighed as she softly kicked the seat in front of her.

Just one hour into the trip and Lucas was already fast asleep and she did not like it. What was the purpose of sitting right behind him if he was gonna spend the time sleeping?

She rolled her eyes and picked up a peanut. She brought it up to her mouth and looked out the window.

What a wonderfully boring day it was.

It was wonderful because she could see Lucas' face with just a flicker of her eyesight.

Connor had told them that Lucas was probably 'knackered' and that's why he couldn't keep his eyes open for long.

Adam was sitting right beside her, with Hailey on the other side of the bus, both listening to their choice of plain boring ass music and Claire couldn't bother to ask them about it nor did she even spare a glance.

They were both surprised that Hailey actually held a conversation with Connor.

Claire heaved a heavy sigh again and picked up another peanut.

This time though, her lips curled up into a mischievous smirk, and she aimed the poor peanut at Lucas' head. Without any further thoughts, Claire swung her hand and threw it right at the sleeping boy.

Her smirk fell when he didn't move, and she pursed her lips.

She took two more from the packet and flicked it on his face with much more force. It hit his forehead and he got up with a jerk.

He didn't know how much it satisfied Claire when he rubbed his eyes and yawned softly.

Adam snickered looking at her and she swiftly shot an annoyed look at him.

"Why are there peanuts here?" Lucas slurred sleepily, asking Connor about the three peanuts that were lying on his thighs.

"What peanuts?" Connor questioned not bothering to look up.

"These." Lucas took them into his palm and turned around. He was met with a smile so bright he was sure it could blind him.

"Morning." Claire said.

"Evening." Lucas answered, trying to sound petty.

"But you woke up now." She replied.

"Whatever. Are these yours?" He motioned to the peanuts as Claire took a look.

"Maybe."

"They are, aren't they?" He peeped in, looking at the packet filled with peanuts. Maybe he was putting everything together to realise that Claire was tossing them towards him.

She watched as Lucas shook his head lightly and turned around to yawn again.

"Do you want them?" She offered.

"No, thank you." He denied politely.

Well, let's just say he tried to go back to sleeping but Claire kept disturbing him by throwing things at him until he groaned and got up to glare at her. The glare lasted only for two seconds, and faltered the moment his eyes met her's.

That's why Claire loved being the one holding the post of dominance.

The rest of the evening went by with Lucas nibbling on his lips, and Claire chuckling at him while Adam was so done with them.

Almost 6 hours later, the bus came to hault in front of a hotel and their coach was signalling everyone to get down.

"We have arrived at San Fran, as you can see..." He started. Claire walked forward to stand beside Adam, with Lucas maintaining a five feet distance from her. "It's almost 10, and that's why no one is permitted to leave this hotel now. You'll be given a key and choose your 'friends' to spend the week with."

Adam shifted uncomfortably.

"You and Hailey?" He asked Claire.

"Probably."

"I'll have to go with someone else?"

"Yeah.."

And they both shrugged together.

"Claire?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you wanna hit a smoke with me?" He whispered.

"Maybe."

And whatever the hell coach said afterwards just slipped through their brains. Because, really, no one gave a fck to follow the rules. Everyone is still gonna get wasted tonight, tomorrow and the whole week.

"Guys, should I get the keys?" Hailey approached them from behind.

"Uh, I was just leaving." Claire murmered. "Do you wanna join?"

"I'll go." Adam interrupted.

"Then... I'll stay? Maybe talk to someone."

Claire and Adam nodded in approval and proceeded to get the keys.

"I'm gonna hit the bed early tonight."

"Sure." Claire responded.

And they never knew why it was so comfortable with the awkward silence between them, all they would do is stand, share glances and look away.

It was always like this.

And they hoped it would stay this way.