Sneak Peak!

Hey! So here's a sneak peak of Trenton's Home For Boys... and girls.

CHAPTER ONE: Becoming A Boy

I raked my hands through my hair. How could this be happening? We didn't have any other family to speak of, where were we supposed to go? I already knew the answer to that one though, we were headed to the home. Me and my twin brother, Dan, sat in the waiting room at the police station. One of the officers I recognised, Kelly, came walking out with another officer, who I didn't know.

 "Jason, these are Cams kids. Kids this is Jason" Kelly introduces us.

"Your dad was a good man" Jason said, shaking our hands, "he saved fifty lives that day."

"It should have been fifty one" I muttered.

"Right" Jason said awkwardly.

"So... what are they going to do with us?" Dan asked. Neither of us were in a very good mood.

"Well, we've been trying to contact other family members that might be able to take you but... "Kelly started.

"They don't exist" I finished.

"Yeah... So, the only option for now is that, uh, you guys go to the home... Dan will be going to Trenton's and Riley,  you'll be going to Denval's" Kelly was looking at the ground now.

Kelly had been a family friend for a long time and I could tell the idea of sending us away like that upset her. I wished so badly that she could take us in but seeing as she was currently living in her boyfriends moms house I figured that that wouldn't work. I honestly don't know what Kelly sees in her boyfriend I mean... he lives in his moms basement, but I guess it mostly has something to do with the fact that she had nowhere else to live. I still didn't like the idea of being separated from my brother though... he's the only thing I had left.

"But, we can't go to different homes!" I protested.

"They don't allow boys and girls to room together" Kelly sighed.

"That's not fair" Dan cried.

"I know it seems bad now but I promise that I'll sign both of you out every weekend and we can go to the park or something and you guys will get to see each other."

"What if one of us gets adopted? What then?" I asked.

I noticed that Jason had been slowly backing out of the room, obviously uncomfortable in the conversation.

"I don't know!" Kelly threw her hands up.

Jason was now out the door and heading down the hall.

"Look, we'll talk about this more in the car. We need to go pack up your stuff and then I have to drop you both off at the homes. I wish there was something I could do but, my hands are tied."

***

I walked slowly around the house, knowing that this would sadly be the last time I saw it. I sat in the big comfy chair that had belonged to my dad in the living room and breathed in the smell. It smelled just like him. I stayed there like that for a couple of minutes before getting up and slowly ascending the stairs. My room looked the same it always had. No, not my room, I thought, not anymore.

I sifted through my clothing grabbing all of the things that either reminded me of my dad, or had been picked out by him. By the time I was done my duffel bag looked like it could have belonged to a boy. It was full of graphic tee's polo's and boarding shorts, my dad rarely ever picked out girly looking stuff for me. In fact, most of the clothes he bought me were from the boys section. I didn't mind though cause I knew that he had my best interest at heart, he was just a lousy shopper.

I turned to my bed and grabbed my very worn copy of Love Me Tender. It was an Elvis song that had been made into a picture book. My mom used to sing it to me every night before I went to sleep while I looked at the pictures.

Lastly, I grabbed a couple of necessities like my tooth brush, toothpaste, comb and deoderant. I didn't really need a comb because my hair was cute short in a cute pixie cut but I grabbed it none the less.

I wanted to just lie down on my bed and refuse to go when I heard Kelly call us back down from downstairs but I knew that she could probably over power me anyways. I walked out into the hall and saw Dan staring longingly into mom and dads old room. I walked up and linked my hand with his.

"Come on, Danny, it'stime to go" I whispered.

He nodded slightly, took one last glance at the room, then followed me down the stairs. Kelly was waiting for us at the bottom. Weirdly though, she had a mischievous grin on her face.

"What's up with you?" Dan asked.

"I have an idea!" Kelly exclaimed.

"Okay, great?" I asked.

"An idea that will keep you and your brother together" she smiled.

"Well what is it?" Dan asked.

"We're going to turn Riley, into a boy."

I stared at her like she had ten heads.

"You're kidding right?" I asked.

"No of course not, but think about it. Riley can be a boys name. Plus you already dress the part most of the time thanks to your father. Anyways, how else do you expect to stay with your brother?" she asked.

"Well... I dunno, but still! How are we going to pull it off? Won't they have documents confirming that I'm a girl?" I shook my head.

"I'm an officer of the law, I'm sure I can convince them there was a mix up" she laughed.

"Well I'm not sure if I can convince them that I'm even a boy. Plus, isn't that like, illegal or something?" I said.

"No... I don't think so."

I looked to Dan. He had his head tilted to one side and I could tell he was studying me.

"It might work..." he stated, "although I might have to give you some lessons on how to act. Do you really think we can pull this off Kelly?"

"Yeah, I really do."

"Dan..." I started.

"Ri, it's the only way" Dan said softly.

"Fine" I sighed.

"Good!" Kelly smiled, "in that case there are probably a few things we should pick up, like, non-girly smelling deodorant."

"Ew... I have to smell like a guy too?" I asked.

"If you want people to believe you, yes" Dan said.

"Fine, but I'm not going to start standing in the bathroom or anything like that!" I stated.

Dan laughed, "that's okay sis... no one wants that."

"Okay, come on you guys, we got to get you both to the boys home. Oh and Riley... you might want to stick with baggy tops from now on" she winked.

"Oh... right" I said.

She nodded then headed out the door. Dan and I followed her but I stopped in the door frame to take one last look at the only home I'd ever known. Dan squeezed my shoulder lightly and I looked up at him. He had a single tear on his cheek and I could feel tears wetting my own face as well.

"Ready to go?" he asked quietly.

"Yeah" I replied and with that we both turned, walked up to Kelly's car and got inside. We were going to Trenton's Home For Boys... both of us.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So guys, if you want to read more make sure to check out my new book. I'm sure you can only imagine what will happen when Riley is forced to live in a house full of boys :P I'd like to point out that this is going to be another romance novel wink wink nudge nudge. Remember to comment and vote on everything and that chickens can't fly... seriously don't throw one off a roof... it won't be pretty :P Until next time everyone!

-Brant23