Chapter 13- What If?

***PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE IF YOU LIKED THIS CHAPTER!***

Note: Guys, I've been accepted into the job I was applying for. So, I have a job now and I'm really busy. I can't write as fast as before. All I have are weekends. I hope you understand that updates aren't as fast now. Please understand that this is the real world and people have to work to be able to pay the bills. I'll miss writing as much as you'll miss updates. Writing is my passion. This is what I love. But there are things more than passion and that is responsibility. Please be patient with me. Thank you!

CHAPTER 13- WHAT IF?

The Next Day
Little Chinatown
New York City

-Hera-

The hospital was painted with shades of white and grey. It was beautiful but it was drab and simple. After being there for several days, the whites and greys wore me down and I could say that I was really bored.

But it was the weekend now and I wasn’t in the hospital.

Today, Theo brought me to a place he called Little Chinatown. Here, I was bombarded with several colors. This time it was shades of gold and red. There was just so much to see here! There were a lot of people walking around. There were vendors parading their wares and the noise they made seemed to break the glass of boredom and monotony that encased me. The air was ripe with the fragrance of several herbs and food. It was far from the smell of alcohol and medicines that I was so used to.

“Like what you see?” Theo whispered. I couldn’t help the giggle that escaped my lips. “I love it!” I screeched. I was inspecting a red lantern hung high above me. Theo noted my interest and also looked at it. Then, I heard him laugh and saw him shake his head.

“Being with you is very refreshing, Hera. I’ve never seen someone who’s lost their memory and then acted quite like you,” he told me. I stopped walking and turned to look at him. “How so?”

“People who lost their memories tend to retreat into themselves. They refuse to go out into the world to explore because it makes them feel afraid. But you… You’re unafraid. You go out and it’s as if you’re really seeing the world for the first time,” he answered.

His voice slid through me like silk and I found myself taking my eyes away from the lantern to look into his vivid green eyes. “Maybe I’ve seen my share of the world. Sometimes, I feel as though something in me recalls a particular detail. But this right here…” I waved a hand to encompass the whole street we were traversing. “…I think I may have travelled to thousands of places but I’ve never seen this,” I answered.

The corner of Theo’s lips turned up in a smile that reached all the way to his green eyes. They softened and his entire body relaxed too. “I didn’t really think you’d like this place. It’s a bit overwhelming for some.”

“Overwhelming is better than grey and monotonous,” I quipped. He laughed when he realized I was pertaining to the hospital. “We should go out more often,” he whispered. “We should!” I agreed before I realized the implications of his words.

I knew that Theo wanted me and a part of me wanted him too.

But wanting him came with so much complications. First, I don’t have my memories. Second, I was married before and it didn’t end well. Third, I still feel some spark towards my ex-husband. Complicated, right?

But when I’m with Theo, it was as if I forgot all these and had the chance to simply become myself and enjoy the day. This feeling evaporates when he talks about a future for both of us or whenever we’re apart and all my doubts and insecurities come crawling back.