Chapter 29- The Underworld

*** PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT IF YOU LIKED THE STORY!***

Dedication: This chapter is for all my American readers / those residing in the USA / those from USA but are now living in another country. Happy Independence day to you, guys! :)

CHAPTER 29- THE UNDERWORLD

An empty parking lot

Somewhere in New York City

-Zeus-

"Come on, Zeus. It's time to go," a familiar voice whispered.

I wanted to open my eyes and go towards the voice but I was afraid it would end my feeling of both numbness and bliss. I wanted to stay like this – floating in the abyss.

"Zeus... It's time," the voice urged.

With a groan, I opened my eyes. And then I was blinded with a pure, white light. I lifted my hand to cover my eyes but the light seemed to pierce right through me.

"Your vision will adjust in a few seconds."

And the familiar voice was right. My vision adjusted and I was able to look around. I was on a big, wide boat which was sailing across smooth, black waters.

I knew right away where we were. Charon's boat. The ferryman who brought souls to the Underworld. But something here wasn't right.

"Where are all the shades?" I asked Thanatos who was standing beside me. The familiar voice belonged to him.

Usually, the ferry was jam-packed with souls waiting to be delivered to the place where they will be judged. But right now, it seemed that only me and Thanatos were present.

Before I died, I asked him to please be with me during my transition. Usually, he would bring mortals to the edge of the river and tell them that Charon would ferry them to the Underworld where they will wait for their turn to be judged.

But like any other mortal facing death... I was scared. It's hard to admit but it doesn't make it any less true. I may have been an immortal, a god and a king when I was alive but still I felt emotions. And being afraid of death was one of them. I wanted someone to be there and to see a familiar face in the afterlife. So I begged Thanatos to stay with me during transition.

"Charon made them wait by the shore. This is a special trip for you, Zeus," he answered.

My stomach dropped. "Why?"

"You can ask him yourself," Thanatos said with a smile.

A split second later and Charon materialized in front of me. He dropped in a low bow.

"Zeus," he greeted. His voice was sounded hoarse and I guess it was from disuse. He wasn't known to be chatty. He was famous for being stoic but never failed in his job.

"Rise," I commanded. I wasn't the King of the gods now. I was a shade just like any other. The knowledge hit me like a punch in the gut.

He rose and inclined his head in greeting. "This is a special trip because this is for you. Whatever happened in history and whatever everyone else thinks, you are still the King of the gods. And I have no quarrel with you. Only respect."

Another punch in the solar plexus.

"Why?" This time it was my voice that was hoarse.

"You have a huge responsibility on your shoulders and are forced to make hard decisions. Often, it's not what everyone wants. But nonetheless, it is the right one. Not all decisions are perfect and most often there are sacrifices. There are deaths. But they are remembered as heroes. And they ride on this ferry speaking of the glory they attained in battle and how they would do it all over again if given the chance. And for this you have my respect. Enjoy the trip, my lord," he said.