Flashback

***ATWOOD HIGH. 5 YEARS AGO. 3:02 PM***

I was standing in front of my locker, almost empty-handed as I stuffed my remaining textbooks back into my now full locker. The bell had just rung for our departure, so I was in a hurry to get home in time for Aidan's 18th surprise birthday party. Kirsten, a friend of mine who I have secretly crushed on for years, had helped me plan the whole thing and was waiting to drive both of us to our house.

I turned around abruptly as I felt a sharp tap on my shoulder. "Hey! Travis, I haven't seen you in a while now!" Travis was a somewhat close friend of mine that I had known for almost 3 years now. He was always known as the "player" of our school, yet at heart he truly is a genuine and sincere person.

"Kacii, I need to ask you something."

"Yeah, what's up?" I crammed my last book into my locker, shutting it closed and locking it after.

The halls were deadly silent and seemed like a ghost-town already, though it had only been a couple minutes after the final bell of the day.

"Do you want to be my girlfriend?" He asked frankly, cheekily smiling at me.

"Um..." I suddenly thought of Kirsten. Me from middle school would say yes—but something in me just wouldn't let me get off the hook that easily this time. It felt as if there was a barrier between my brain and mouth and all connection seemed lost. Something—something I define as absolutely nothing—felt uncomfortable and disbelieving in the idea. "A boyfriend?" I thought, "How bad could that be?" "Sure," I uneasily replied, twiddling with my keys, which were intertwined between my fingers.

"Great." He grinned. "Do you maybe wanna go out for a movie sometime?"

I smiled shyly, now absolutely against the entire thing. "Oh...um...okay..." I paused for a second then ran off before saying, "I gotta go" under my breath.

***ATWOOD HIGH. 4 YEARS AGO. 3:06 PM***

I sauntered out the large gray doors of the exit of the school, before Travis caught up with me.

"Hi babe." He kissed me on the cheek and attempted to follow me though I was speed-walking at an undeniably quick pace. "What's up? Why are you so ignorant right now?"

I stopped, still looking forward. Taking a deep breath, I turned to face his not-so-sorry eyes and said proudly, "This isn't going to work."

He tried to laugh it out. "Wha—what do you mean this isn't going to work?"

"Yes, Travis. I'm breaking up with you." I tried to walk away, but his arm stopped me from moving.

"But we've dated for one year. We're the trendiest couple in school!" He tried kissing me again, but this time I dodged.

"I would say 'it's not you, it's me', but I've realized—it's both of us. I see you kissing new girls every day, and you see me clearly not interested."

"No...I only do those for dares. And what do you mean you're not interested? I'm the hottest guy in all of Atwood, of course you swoon over me!"

"I've learned too much over the past year to think differently." I took another breather, then pridefully yet frightfully remarked, "I'm sorry this couldn't work out, Travis."

"What...don't do this to me, Kacii!" He reached for my hands and faced toward me. "I love you."

"I'm sorry," I whispered quietly. "I live to love what I like. And I like girls." I ambled away, leaving Travis' heart in pieces.

"Kacii Li Macias..." his voice was full of anguish and indignation. "You will rue the day!"

I didn't look back and started a jog—which later became a dash—which later turned into a sprint for my life.

They say you can't run away from life's problems, but I reckon that I just did.