An Old "Friend"

***FONDOLI BAR***

I checked my wristwatch. It was already 2 PM, yet Elle still hadn't come yet. Just as I started to grow more and more impatient while wondering if she was going to come, Dave came over to join me.

"Hey, you look pretty lonely." He wiped the table using an old cloth.

"Yeah, she's not here yet."

"When did she say that she'll be here?"

"I don't know. Probably like afternoon, or something."

"So... sexual orientation?"

"Lesbian. Just came out to my parents. They forced me to live here with my brother."

"You butch?"

"Yeah."

"Could definitely tell by the haircut," he continued, "it looks stunning by the way."

"Thanks, Dave." I took a sip out of the Sangria he made for me and handed him my credit card to pay for it since I ran out of cash. "What about you?"

"I'm gay. Wait a second." Just as he was about to swipe my card, he glanced over at the letters on my card that spelled out my full name. "Kacii Li Macias?" he read out loud in an astonished way.

"Yeah? Oh no. Is this about my brother again?"

"Ha. Not what you think. I dated that kid for a period of time."

"He really likes to keep secrets from me, doesn't he, huh?"

"Don't get me wrong, Aidan was cute. But couldn't go one night without sleeping with at least one person." He chuckled. "That kid is all the hot gossip this city can offer."

"I seriously thought my brother was innocent all this time before Alena spilled the beans for me."

He adjusted his collar, then stated, "That girl's a piece of shit. But whatever. You'll get used to her showing up and stuff. Oh, and I gotta go now." Dave handed back my card. "Feel free to text me any time. Here's my number." He scribbled down a phone number and left in a hurry.

Suddenly, just as I thought I was alone, two warm hands started touching my shoulders.

Even though it was nearly eighty-one degrees outside, the bar's setting was still dark, so I wasn't aware of much that was going on around me.

The person that was behind me walked over to the seat next to me. I turned my head over to see who they were. In the seat on my right sat a man that looked as if he was maybe one or two years older than me.

"Hey girl." He was holding what looked like a Merlot wine and his voice was both deep and manly, yet something about his character rung a bell.

"Um... hey." I uncomfortably said, shifting away from him.

"Wow, act like you don't know me." He asked abruptly, causing my eyes to lock with his.

"Uh... no..."

"Why are you so nervous?" He scooted his chair so close to mine to the point where we basically we mouth to mouth.

I looked away, embarrassed by his attitude. "Uh, sorry?"

"Hey." He used his hand to turn my head to face his direction again. Before I knew it, he was only inches away from my lips and my brain felt like it was on fire again from panicking. But something in me felt a sense of remembrance of his face, distracting me from him, who was lunging toward me.

A harsh voice caused him to stop. "Excuse me, what are you doing?" I looked over his shoulder, just in time to see Elle standing right behind me, flashing disapproving looks at the man.

He laughed from out of nowhere. "Babe, I'm kissing my girlfriend. Now if you'll excuse me..."

For a second Elle looked as if she had been hurt thinking that I cheated on her, but she soon picked up the feeling when she glanced over at my worried eyes. In an instant, she grabbed the man by his shirt and was speaking right directly at his face. "Mess with my girlfriend again and I'll mess with you. Understood?" Elle spat at his face, throwing up the middle finger.

"Whoa, whoa. Calm down, ladies! First off, baby! Don't you remember me?" He looked over at me again.

The words left my mouth like daggers. "Are you... Tra... Travis?" I darted away from him, still scarred from our not-so friendly past.

"Duh I am." He chuckled, "Who else would I be? I'm your freaking boyfriend!"

I almost broke down on the spot.

Elle let of his shirt, causing him to fall back down into his seat with a loud "thud". She rapidly walked over to my side, holding me in a way of comfort. She took a seat and hugged me tightly while she rested her head on my shoulder.

"But you're not even gay!" Travis cried so loudly everyone turned their heads in curiosity.

"No, I'm not. I'm lesbian. How about you, huh? Why are you here then?" I challenged, stroking Elle's short brown locks.

"Ha-ha. Since when has this been an only gay bar?"

"Since you stopped doing your research."

The now red-faced Travis grabbed his coat, which was now on the floor and left in a hurry while people in the crowds he passed mocked him. "I'll get you back one day, Kacii Macias!" he shouted back, winking at me secretively.

Elle touched my arm. "You okay?"

"Yeah, just surprised he lives here now."

"Well, don't expect him to ever come back. Whenever you've got yourself an Elle by your side, you don't have to worry about anything." She kissed me on the cheek, then ordered a drink from Dave, who was astonishingly back.

"Just a Margarita. Thanks." Elle slammed a ten-dollar bill on the table. "Keep the change."

"Thanks," Dave replied, starting to make her drink.

"Care to explain anything that just happened?" Elle laughed.

I glanced over at her daring eyes, then said, "Just pretend it didn't." I leaned in forward, ready to share a kiss with my lovely savior. But just as I pulled myself in closer and closer, Elle randomly sprung into my arms and kissed me like there were no tomorrow.