Trust

***GAZELLE FOUNTAIN***
"Delphi," I turned over to talk to her.

"What up?"

"Could you wait in the car while we talk and listen to our conversation? Please, this place is so beautiful but the fact that it's only me and her just makes it seem sketchy."

"I got you. I'm done for the day for some reason anyways." She winked at me to go.

I hesitated to open the door but did so eventually. I walked over to Alena until I was close enough for her to notice me. Just as I looked back, Delphi walked out of the car and crept closer. She flashed a thumbs up.

"I have a lot to say." Alena's voice was fairly raspy and harsh, contrary to Elle's mischievous yet sweet tone.

"Well, yeah. Obviously you couldn't just meet me somewhere else less private."

"But I thought it would be about time to tell you. It's top secret though. So if you don't want to know, you can just walk away..."

How was she so good at this bribery thing? Alena can manage to bribe me to stay and yet I can't even convince Aidan to let me drive his car. "What?"

"It's about Elle. And I thought you might want to know." She smirked. "She's not who she seems."

"Oh yeah. Now you're gonna tell me that she's some big ass cheater and tell me to dump her and shit like that. Lies." I walked back around the fountain and signaled for Delphi to get into the car before Alena saw her.

"Wait." She still hadn't turned her head around, but she seemed as if she was dying to tell me something important.

"What do you want from me, Alena? From day one you seemed like a two-faced piece of shit. Who even are you, anyways? And why should I trust you?"

"Because I've been here. Here longer than you've seen your brother's damn face. Longer, holding myself through the tantrums mistrust has caused me. And now I truthfully need to make it better. For me, and you. I know we don't know each other so well. And how can I not even address our many differences. But the gap between us is far too big. We're acting like total strangers when we should already have both our mothers' names fully memorized forwards and backwards."

"That doesn't make sense. You were the liar. Alena, you said you already had a girlfriend, to start off. I know for a fact you hadn't pointed at Elle."

"Lies." She chuckled. "They can truly get the best of us, huh?" Alena stopped for a second then continued, "I'm not even questioning. Bisexual is the word you're looking for."

"I... I don't understand," I stuttered, checking to see if Delphi had left already. Sure enough, her Chevy was no longer in sight.

"Don't understand?" She buried her face in her hands, then continued, "There are so many secrets I have held for too long. They burden me every day. I can't live like this any longer..."

"Then just tell. You trust me," I said courageously, taking a deep breath.

"But do you trust me?"

"Maybe. You'll never know until you say."

There was a long pause between us. We could only hear the silent whistling of the waves a couple miles away and the steady beat of the water flowing down and up the fountain. "What if I told you that she has a fiancée?"

The words exited her mouth and entered my brain like knives to the heart. "She... she wouldn't do that. You... you... liar! Why would you say that about such a..."

"And what if I said that I was the fiancée?!" She turned around, exposing a full face of dripping black mascara, messy eyeliner that was smeared all around her eyes, and blush that was no longer a rosy red.

"But... but..." There was no way out of the conflict I was dealing with no more. There was no escape. At that moment, I realized how stupid and blind of a coward I truly was to not even see it the first time I met Elle. Something about her didn't seem right; and now I know it truly never did.