The Open Road

"There we go!" Aidan cried as he stuffed our last luggage in the trunk of Devon's Subaru SUV.

"That should be good, right?" Devon asked, dusting his white linen shirt.

"I call shotgun!" I laughed, hastily sitting down in the passenger's seat before Aidan could even respond.

"And I'm driving!" Devon yelped, bursting out in a collection of wheezes and giggles.

"Seriously, guys?" Aidan protested, his face barely curved into a smile.

"Yep. Now go head on over to the back seat." Devon inserted the keys into the keyhole and started the car's engine immediately.

Before we knew it, we were on the open road. The bright summer days of California were put on hold this morning however. Smoky gray fog invaded the beaches and neighborhoods, sweeping over the massive freeways and highways. The palm trees swayed gently to the silent humming of the wind. They twisted from side to side then up and down, bending just slightly forward to manage not to break their delicate trunks.

I was busy shuffling my all-time favorite mix of road trip songs and blasting them through all the speakers in the car.

"When can I have the aux cord?" Aidan complained, practically lying down in the back seat.

"Some time that's probably after we're home from San Fran."

"Ha. I like your sister," Devon said, turning the "obnoxious music" (as Aidan liked to call it) up to full volume.

"A new strategy of torture has been discovered. Lock yourself for three hours in a car with your shitty boyfriend and Kacii Macias and you've got yourself a weekend to remember," Aidan joked, groaning for what seemed like an eternity.

"Shitty boyfriend would be an understatement," Devin teased.

"What a diva."

"How much longer?" Aidan whined, fanning himself with his hand.

"You better guess a very long time." I opened up my phone to check what song what up next. "Next up—the lesbian anthem sung by the one and only Lesbian Jesus!"

GIRLS LIKE GIRLS—HAYLEY KIYOKO (credits to azlyrics)

Boys

Stealin' kisses from your misses
Does it make you freak out?
Got you fussing, got you worried
Scared to let your guard down

Boys, boys...

Tell the neighbors I'm not sorry
If I'm breaking walls down
Building your girls second story
Ripping all your floors out

Saw your face, heard your name
Gotta get with you
Girls like girls like boys do
Nothing new

Isn't this why we came?
Gotta get with you
Girls like girls like boys do
Nothing new
Girls like girls like boys do
Nothing new

Boys

Always gonna steal your thunder
Watch me like a dark cloud
On the move, collecting numbers
Imma take your girl out...

We will be everything that we'd ever need (oh oh)
Don't tell me, tell me what I feel
I'm real and I don't feel like boys

Saw your face, heard your name
Gotta get with you
Girls like girls like boys do
Nothing new

Isn't this why we came?
Gotta get with you
Girls like girls like boys do
Nothing new
Girls like girls like boys do
Nothing new

I've been crossing all the lines, all the lines
Kissed your girls and made you cry, boys

Saw your face, heard your name
Gotta get with you
Girls like girls like boys do
Nothing new

Isn't this why we came?
Tell me if you feel it too!
Tell me, girls like girls like boys do
Nothing new
Girls like girls like boys do
Nothing new

"Ugh is it over yet?"

"Ha-ha. Get yourself ready for the next few songs my friend."

"Your sister's got a point." Devon added on, "Lesbian Jesus did make a one-of-a-kind lesbo anthem."

"See?" I guffawed, dancing to the next song, which was a killer twenty one pilots song.

"Did I ever tell you I happen to also hate twenty one pilots?" Aidan yelled from behind my ear, trying to make sure I hear him over the boisterous music.

"Nope!" I shouted back, rolling down the window to let the rolling California breezes sweep in.

"Why don't we play a road trip game for the well-being of Aidan?" Devon cackled, switching off the music.

"Fine. What do you got in mind?"

"Lovers' Game." Devon smirked.

"Now you're flirting with my sister? I knew I shouldn't have dated another bi guy. Pathetic bit***s," Aidan said, leaning forward to talk.

"Duh, he isn't. We're both gay anyways."

"Nah, I'm actually bi," Devon answered, smiling.

"Oh, didn't know that."

"Please tell you you're butch."

"Yep. Too easy?"

"He** yeah! For once I can tell!" Devon chortled, still keeping his eyes on the road. "So, Miss Macias—you've played Lovers' Game before, I'm guessing?"

"Actually, no. I've only heard of it."

Aidan leaned forward to talk. "It's like truth or dare where one person asks another person something about their love life. It's some damn road trip game apparently where you either answer or shout one of your ex's names out the window."

"Ooh. Interesting."

"Wanna play?" Devon asked.

"Sure, I guess."

"Here, we'll do a sample round just for you," Devon maliciously continued, "I know I have quite a bit of questions for you, Aidan."

We all burst out laughing.

"Whatever. Just start."

"Have you ever dated a boy and a girl at the same time before?" Devon asked, clearly trying to test Aidan.

"Probably. Too many times so I forgot."

"Very loyal of you."

"Actually I remember."

"That's actually worse than not even knowing," I said, staring at my brother's red cheeks.

"You know what?" Aidan rolled down the window on his right side. He screamed, "BAILEY!"

Devon and I snickered until our stomachs started to hurt.

"That was fantastic," I started, reaching for my gold water bottle.

"Frankly, she was actually the girl I cheated on with a guy with."

"Aw. Poor her," Devon and I said at the same time, switching on the radio once again.