Not So Lucky

My phone buzzed from inside my pocket. "Oh, sorry, my brother's texting me. Um..." I stared deeply into her dark brown eyes.

Although they emphasized her defiant character, I still managed to find a trace of disability. Some minuscule part of her heart seemed hurt. It was calling out to me. She bravely gulped, "Don't worry about it. It's all good." She backed away in a way that seemed regretful.

-Aidan. it's 7 30. Why aren't you back yet?

-Kacii. thanks for ruining a special moment :(

-Aidan. but it's been so long. you know mom and dad are gonna kill me for not "taking care of my little sister correctly"

-Kacii. fine i'm heading back now

I closed my phone in absolute frustration.

"What was that all about?" Elle was back to playing her little question game.

"Aidan. Being overprotective." I sighed, gulping down the rest of the wine.

"You know, sometimes I wish I had a brother like yours."

"Did you have any siblings?"

"Yeah, a sister. Lived with her and her trashy boyfriend in some shitty town ever since I was five."

"When did you move out?"

Elle bit her lip neurotically again. "When... when there wasn't even a fragment of my family left." She gulped quietly, before placing her head on my shoulder as we watched people from a distance make out and dance.

"Oh, so your parents..."

"Lived with two dads," she chuckled, then continued, "they meant the world to me. But soon enough at age five, some asshole slaughtered them. It was a mass shooting in some stupid coffee shop. The jackass who didn't even know who he was killing. But nothing could ever make me feel any better for losing the only two people I've felt the closest to. I just had my sister and her stupid boyfriend left. Then, summer of when I turned eighteen came along. I entered the front door, only to see a note left on the bloody kitchen table written by my one and only sister. Said that she was going to the grocery store. Found her body in the bathtub, bloody and bruised. The boyfriend was gone, never to be seen again."

Her story left me with a pale face. "I'm so sorry... I shouldn't have..."

"No," Elle harshly blurted out out of nowhere. "Kacii, ever since I met you, I've always felt somewhat alive again—as if for some reason my two dads and sister were merged into one person. I can't even find the right words to say 'thank you'." She paused for a long second then said, "Let's get you home."

We made our way through crowds of people before leaving the building. We sauntered down the sidewalk, sharing stories and laughing the whole time.

Elle suddenly linked her arm inside mine. We walked down street after street under the sun's last rays before it set down the horizon. Some  people that strolled past us looked at us strangely for our romance. No words were exchanged for the next few minutes that we ambled down the  street—only a promising love.

***AIDAN'S CONDO, 8:30***

"Whoa, this is your house?" Elle glanced over at the well-lit condo as the waves crashed loudly behind it.

It truly looked a lot more beautiful at night. "Yeah. Well, it's my brother's condo."

"Guess I'll see you tomorrow if you decide to go to Fondoli."

"Cool. Where do you live now?"

She smirked playfully. "Down the street."

"Oh."

"Hey, so I have a question for you now."

"Yeah?"

Elle walked closer than ever to me and held both my hands. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

I grinned. "Sure."

She smiled back, then walked away.

Just as I started to ring the doorbell, Elle called back to me, "Oh, and Blue?"

She rushed up the steps and stood right next to me. The next thing I knew, she stretched out and kissed me. Aidan had already opened the door, but we didn't notice.

In an instant, he said, "Damn. First date."

As soon as the words escaped his mouth, we immediately stopped.

"Honestly, I expected it. No big deal. Elle, you seemed not so innocent the first time I saw you."

She laughed hysterically along with him, then started holding my hand. "Well, when I first heard of you, I thought you were quite a bit of a player for dating Devin."

"You're right about that." I winked at her. "See you tomorrow." I waved back as I closed the door.