Vollie's Collectives

***6 PM***

Aidan had just come home from work and somehow seemed excited.

"What's up with you today?" I asked, sauntering over to the kitchen.

"I have some good news..."

"What's up?"

"Some random girl quit her job at where I work so I nominate you to go fill in her spot!"

"Wait, are you asking for me to get a job?"

"Yeah, kind of. Do you still have your card, by the way?"

"Yep. But that bad boy is straight out of Mom and Dad's bank paychecks."

"Damn. They're probably gonna take that away from you soon, I'm guessing. So you should get your own bank account here! And trust me, Willis will pay you a fortune."

"Well," I paused then continued, "can't say no to that."

He grinned.

***8 AM***

What seemed like five minutes after my alarm clock went off, Aidan came bouncing into my room.

"Wake up! Today is the day!"

"What? But it's only 8."

"Whatever. I usually go to work at like 11 every day because Willis doesn't give a shit. Now let's go." He tugged at my sleeve.

"So you've lied to me that you go to volunteer at the shelter every day?"

"Yeah, pretty much."

"Jackass."

He snickered. "Just get up."

***VOLLIE'S COLLECTIVES, 11 PM***
I followed Aidan's lead as we trotted over to an old lady working the register.

"Why, good morning Aidan! Who is this lovely lady you have with you here today?" She smiled kindly, gesturing for us to sit down on a vintage couch in front of her.

I was quite surprised that Mrs. Willis actually called me a lady since more people call me a dude than a gal. For a second, I had a good feeling about the woman.

"This is my little sister, Kacii." Aidan signaled for me not to say anything stupid.

"Hi." I awkwardly said.

Mrs. Willis giggled. "Hello there, darling."

All of a sudden, a young woman with a dark brown pixie haircut came out of the "Employee's Room" in the back. "Mom," she said, facing the opposite direction, "The vintage lamps got delivered this morning. I put them in the back."

"Oh, almost forgot!" She pulled the girl over to where we were sitting.

The next thing I knew, I was face to face with my one and only heart-breaker once again.

"Kacii?"

"Hi." I forcefully said, standing up spontaneously. I was only being friendly for the sake of Mrs. Willis being there. "Well. Didn't tell me you had a mom. Another lie, I'm guessing?"

"Nope. It's complicated. Stuff about adoption and shit."

"Interesting. Love to hear it sometime. Why don't you bring your fiancée along?"

"I see you two already know each other." Mrs. Willis stated, smiling and pulling us closer together to shake hands.

"Yeah, Kacii here was actually the enemy of my old sports team, mom." Elle Willis snickered.

"And Elle here was coincidentally also captain of the "Traitors" club at school. So yes, we know each other very well." I clutched my fist in absolute frustration, still hiding it away from plain sight.

"Ooh. Both great stories I'd love to hear sometime. Tell me all about it later," she continued, "and Aidan, is your sister here today to help?"

"Um...actually, she'd like a job application, please."

I stared him down. "Just for personal reasons," I turned toward Mrs. Willis and continued, "I'd prefer to be working on the other side of the store. Please."

"Alright, Kacii. I'll give you two children a little time to catch up before I force you guys to start working. Also, since we're down on one person, screw the job application anyways!"

"Oh. Thanks," I replied, beaming.

Mrs. Willis left with Aidan, leaving me still just inches away from Elle.

"Salty, huh?"

"I wouldn't use your feminine charms to seduce me quite yet."

"Too bad, I see it's already worked."

"Get your eyes checked."

She chuckled. "I still have no idea what you had meant back there."

"Stop lying, you piece of shit!" I shoved her and started toward Mrs. Willis to get started.

Just as I turned my back away, Elle yelled back, "If I had a fiancée, why would I not have a ring?"

I stopped in my tracks, still hesitating to look back. Without much thinking, I hastily walked away.