Chapter 19

Chapter 19 (9 months later)

The sound of beeping monitors, shuffling shoes, and loud commands filled Taylor’s ears. The wheelchair she was in pushed her down the hallway of the city hospital. Its bright white walls and familiar blue uniform dressed faculty surrounded her. But all she could think about was the immense pain from her contractions. The baby was due. Leo ran alongside her and whispered comforting words, but all she could think about was the journey ahead of her. They arrived in a spacious room, where a doctor stood waiting. After performing routine checkups, Taylor lay there on the bed, bracing herself as a contraction came and passed. Leo held onto her hand, cooing soft words in her ear.

“Leo, call the doctor, I think the baby’s coming now,” Taylor said through clenched teeth as another contraction came, much more forceful this time.

Leo’s eyes went the size of saucers, before he raced out of the room and came back with a doctor. He once again grasped his wife’s hand and listened to the doctor’s orders.

“Alright Taylor, you’ve dilated 10 centimeters, and it looks about time to deliver. We’re going to ask you to give gradual pushes and brace yourself,” the doctor’s voice absorbed in her ears as she began the experience.

*********
“Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Knight, you have a boy!” the doctor exclaimed, before giving the baby to the nurse.

Taylor breathed in a large breathe, and clasped onto Leo’s hand. Her baby was officially born, and he was absolutely beautiful.

The nurse came back with their child wrapped in a blue blanket and handed him to Taylor. She cradled him in her arms, and her eyes instantly welled up with tears of joy. Placing a tender kiss on his forehead, she took in his beautiful face. He looked just like his father.

Leo looked down at his son and wife. The picture perfect family. His son looked just like him, and he couldn’t be any more happy than this point. This was his family. Leo looked lovingly at the mother son duo. Taylor looked up at him, and connected her lips with his, before they both settled their eyes back upon their son.

All thoughts in Taylor’s mind about raising a child drifted away. All she could think about was how happy she was about her child, her husband, her family. They were now complete. She could just imagine having her two boys playing outside, with her watching them. She could imagine Leo teaching him to ride a bike, or how to play videogames. She could imagine him growing up to be a handsome man, going to college, having his own career, wife, and kids. And lastly, she could imagine growing old with Leo. Their love would never die; their hearts would never stop beating for one another. This was how she envisioned her life. Although the journey was crazy, the final destination was well worth it. She was onto a new life, with her loving husband, and son. Gazing down at her bundle of joy, she couldn’t possibly imagine anything better than this moment alone.