《Chapter 53 》Nothing Left

Liam POV

"Where to, boys?" the driver looked back at us.. I looked at Niall, and he smiled, his face a bit red and nervous.. It felt nice to be back in the UK..

"Well, anywhere Kelsey is, Essie will probably be there too," Niall sighed, looking down as he furrowed his eyebrows, seeming to feel a bit disappointed.

"I mean.. it's almost noon... and I don't know what Uni Kelsey went to.." I sighed as I rubbed my neck in sadness. Niall rose his head again, squirming in his seat.

"Then just go to Kelsey's house and wait for her there, and then maybe after she comes, I'll ask her where Essie is so I can apologize, " he grimaced.. But it was a good idea.  I told the driver the directions, and we were on our way.

I stared out in the familiar cities and streets.. and just reminisced the good times. I smiled at the thought of seeing Kelsey walk in...and just.. maybe having a simple talk again..

The idea quickly died out when I realized how we left off a few months ago... and I started to rethink this whole thing...

No, I love her too much.. and I want to make this right. I looked down at my phone.. my nerves.. the excitement sweeping through as I felt the driver turn corner to what I knew was Kelsey's house.

I texted Essie.

Hey, Essie. Would you mind calling me anytime soon? Thanks. Liam x

"Here... we are," the driver said a little confused. I looked up, and my stomach turned in nervousness. I nodded and thanked him.

I walked out the car, dropping my jacket onto the floor. God dammit, could I be any slower? I have to see-

"Uh.. Liam?" Niall's tone was dark. I smiled and looked up at him.

His eyes were watery, and his grimace was bewildered with pain. I rose an eyebrow, before he pointed at Kelsey's house...that looked kind of different.....

I kept my smile as I scanned the house, they... er, must've remodeled because they took out quite a lot of things from the front yard... Maybe putting down cement?

"Liam.. it's.. She.. moved?" Niall's voice was shaken..as if sorrow and regret swooped through him and caused him to lose all hope.

I was taken back by his words.. before I continued to search the front yard..before it hit me.

My grin disappeared and I cringed with the pain in my chest. The sight of that sign, the deserted feeling of an empty yard, windows shut...

A real-estate picket sign... with the bright, red, bold words reading... SOLD.

"What.. no." I shook my head. Frantically walking up the steps to knock on the door, my breaths quickening.

"Liam, no one's here," Niall ran after me, his tone was holding back, trying to be strong.

"You're wrong, Niall. Kelsey's here. She lives here." I said as I knocked...and knocked again.

"Liam, stop, she's not here," he said a little more softly. I shook my head, my eyes getting dry.

This is my best friend we're talking about. 

"No," I groaned as I looked through the window... the crease of the curtain gave me a quick glance... to an empty room.

"We're at the wrong house," I shook my head, my voice coming out as a whisper. Niall sighed.

Niall tugged me away harshly, making me face him. His eyes were wet already, his gaze intense.

"Liam. Stop." he said aggressively. My breaths were harsh...as I just glared at my friend, who was trying to just help me get out of my denial.

"There's nothing left," he finished, his voice cracking once again. He glanced between me, watching me as it sunk in.

I frowned as my lip twitched in sadness, and I looked up from him, to look away at the house.. that was now gone.. the memories flashing through.. the walking from school, the water fights, the time I came over.. the time we loved...

I couldn't bear to think of it anymore once it all disappeared. 

"I.. I don't know what to say, lad," Niall backed up, grimacing as he turned to sit down on the porch, looking around, and I knew he was just as surprised that there was silence, no paparazzi.

"This was a bad idea," he grimaced, nearing tears.

I thought about Kelsey... and right then and there, my phone began to ring.

I frantically shoved into my pocket to pick it up, and answered it, my heart beating even quicker now.

"Hello?" Essie asked cautiously.

"Essie?" I sighed, a small piece of my chest temporarily covered.

"Liam, what's up, are you okay?" her breaths seemed rush, and she sounded stressed. I left a small silence as I tried to get out what I had just realized.

"Essie, Kelsey... sold her house?.. Why?" I barely murmured with pain. The shuffling of the room silenced, and I knew Essie froze.

"Is she in her dorms? What Uni is she at?" I tried to just compromise.. I need to see Kelsey...

"I'm going to be honest with you, Liam. Kelsey dropped out of Uni a few weeks ago.. was only there for a week or two" her words were now edgy, the sound sending me into anticipated pain already.

I kept quiet.. feeling a bit betrayed that they lied... but my curiosity kept me on the phone.

She continued.

"Mr and Mrs. Diamonds sold the house.. because they're moving to America," she sighed, voices of her siblings in the background.. lively.. unlike where I was.

"W-Why... They're going to leave Kelsey behind? That's so cold"  I was about to argue, my emotions spiraling.

" No, Liam.. They would never do that.. it's" she sighed again. " It's because they don't want to be reminded of her," she whispered brokenly.

I gulped. Hoping this was all just a dream.

"She's.. Essie.. she's not de-" I couldn't bear the thought. I'd die from the pain if she said y-

"Essie! Dr.Ackerman called, said Kelsey's parents want to know if you could come earlier to say goodbye," Essie's mother's tone was loud in the background.

I froze, my tears falling across my face already.. Shaking my head in disbelief. In denial.

"Dr.Ackerman?" I whispered..My mom's old friend... A doctor...He's at King's College Hospital. 

"Liam, I got to go," Essie's tone cracked and she hung up.

I held the phone against my ear.. still frozen in shock.

Say goodbye?

In the time of desperation, I had to.. I had to have hope.

So I ran back to the car, my cries loud now as Niall looked at me pained.

"Wha-where-" Niall was so panicked. I looked at him and grimaced and signaled to follow me into the car.

I rushed to the front, the driver turning on the engine, seeing my hurry.

"Where to?"

"Kings College Hospital," I sniffed, trying to be strong.

Trying to not think about what I could be walking into.

Trying not to think about being too late to say goodbye..

But I have a good feeling I already am..

and it's killing me to know that there's nothing left to hold on to.

but a broken hope.