Chapter 23

Strange meets weird - chapter 23

On Sunday morning, Linny woke up with a smile on her face. After a shower, she got dressed and sat in front of her laptop. She turned it on, but instead of looking for accounting jobs, she opened a word processor and started typing. 

When she had told people she wanted to write a book, she hadn't actually thought she would do it. However, she suddenly felt she needed to write about her situation. The only person who understood her was Amy, but if she wanted to become a better person, she'd have to learn to be more independent. So, writing a book was the next best thing. She had often thought about the structure of the book, though she never intended to write it. So, when she started typing, she didn't stop until her fingers started hurting. She looked at the clock and noticed it was past lunch time. So she stopped and prepared herself a salad. While she was eating it, she received a text from Amy "can I come to your place? I need to talk to someone". Linny was surprised, Amy usually came without asking for permission. "Sure, come. We'll talk here".

Less than twenty minutes later, Amy was knocking at her door. The minute she saw Linny, she hugged her as if her life depended on it.

- Amy, what happened? Are you OK?

- I messed up.

- What? Come on, sit on the couch, I'll bring you some tea.

- No, don't go. I'll tell you. Last night... Matthew and I kissed.

- Awww! Finally! How adorable! But what's the problem then?

- Didn't you hear me? I kissed Matthew! My band mate, my best friend, well male best friend. You know! Matthew!

- So what? You guys are such a cute couple.

- Couple? No no no. We are not a couple. This can't happen again!

- Why not?

Amy sighed, tears in her eyes.

- I don't want to lose him. What if we don't work out? Our band will be ruined, and most of all, I'd lose his friendship. I can't let that happen.

Linny's eyes opened wide. Amy, fearless Amy, was scared! 

- Oh, Amy! I know you are scared, but you need to take this risk. You wouldn't be able to live with yourself if you don't.

Linny gave her friend a hug and felt Amy's body shaking. They stayed like that for a moment, until Amy stopped sobbing.

- Amy, wanna stay for a pajama party? We can watch a movie and eat pop corn and pizza.

Amy looked up, like a little girl who was considering her options. Linny smiled.

- What do you say, Amy? How about "Ice Age". The first one.

- I love that movie!

- I know you do.

Amy hugged her friend and whispered "thanks".

- I think the DVD is in that cabinet, why don't you get it, while I make the pop corn.

...

Three hours later, they had finished eating their pop corn and ordered pizza for diner. While eating, Linny told Amy that she had started writing.

- Linny, that's wonderful! Oh, I know you'll be a splendid author!

- Well, don't get too excited. It's more a therapeutic exercise than anything else.

- Still, I'd like to be the first to read it. Please!

- Of course, Amy! In fact, you'll probably be the only one.