Chapter 29

Clarice's POV

   John pulled up to the place I now call home and we exited the vehicle. My mood was terrible and John sensed that so he wrapped his arm around me and we sat on the steps. The others weren't here yet and frankly I wanted some peace and quiet for awhile. John never spoke and we just sat in comfortable silence. 15 minutes passed when he started speaking to me and what he had to say made me feel just a bit worse.

   "I'm sorry Clarice this shouldn't have happened to you at all."

   "But it did happen and I don't even have James with me to dull the pain."

    "Why don't you try to feel him out, you have tried since you got your memories back right?"

   "No it never came to me I could do that to see if he's alive and well."

   "Well try now before the others come and we decide the plan of action."

   I closed my eyes and cleared my mind. Meditation helps me and I've been doing this since I learned about it. I thought about James, my James and felt for him through my heart. I felt nothing, but I couldn't give up just yet so I tried again and again. Finally I felt a presence and I knew even if I couldn't see him that it was James. I pushed my feelings of love, worry, sadness and guilt to him hoping he remembers. Soon I felt him connect back with me and what I felt started tearing me up, and it took all my control to not break down.

   He sent me relief, love, worry, and so much pain he was feeling. He was hurt and his mind was a bit foggy for me to understand any more than what I felt. Before I broke the connection I sent him courage and hope and I hoped he understood what I was trying to tell him. I broke out of my trance to see John kneeling in front of me, waiting for me to speak.

   "I felt him he's alive, but he's in so much pain," I cried out a bit.

   "Damn it Clarice listen at least we know he's alive and he's holding out against them."

   "What are they doing to him to make him hurt so much, his mind is a bit foggy like he's starting to forget things."

   "What do you mean?"

   "I don't know, I can't explain it."

   "Well Marcos called and he's going to pull up in one minute."

   "Hopefully they found out what we need."

   Sure enough the van pulled up and everyone was out and I noticed a man I never seen before. He was old and I guessed he was Lauren's and Andy's grandpa. I wasn't sure why he was here since he was human and Reeds dad. I'll just wait for the explanation inside where he can discuss what we knew.

John's POV

   Finding out from Clarice he was alive relieved some of my stress. When she told me he was in pain I was angry and worried about what they were doing to him. Lauren ran up to me, grabbed my arm and brought me to where Andy and a guy was standing.

   I eyed him suspiciously but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt for Lauren's sake.

   "Hello you must be John, I heard a lot about you from Lauren."

   "You must be Otto nice to meet you."

   "John he's a mutant like us can you believe it!"

   "Really I thought he was human like your dad?"

   "I'll explain it more inside where we can have some privacy."

   He seemed an okay guy so I shook his hand and talked to him for a bit. It was going okay until I heard a yell come from a female and turned to see Skylar marching towards Andy. I gave Lauren a confused look and she just giggled while pointing at them. From the yelling and upset look on her face I figured that Andy forgot her. He took all her words until he had enough and saw him bring her into a long kiss.

   "That's one way for him to get her to stop."

   "Agreed," I heard from Otto and Lauren.

   It worked because she became a red faced blubbering mess because of it. Andy smirked at her and started walking her inside. Smooth I thought, I'll take that and put it away for later in case I get in an argument with Lauren. Lorna told us to meet back in the vault area to discuss matters.

Lorna's POV

   When everyone split to talk and reunite with the others I noticed Clarice by herself with a sad look. I grabbed Marcos and pulled him with me to find out was wrong. When she told me she rather tell it to us all at the same time, I figured out meeting needs to happen now.

   "Hurry up people we need to discuss matters stat."

   "Lorna they know already."

   "Just making sure."

   He gave me a quick kiss and we walked with Clarice to our meeting place. We entered and everyone was busy helping others and doing chores. At least everything was in place and nothing was destroyed this time. When we all got into the round room I used my powers to close the vault door slightly. Before I was able to though Esme rushed in and stood with us.

   "Um why are you here?"

   "I want to help Lorna and I have family that needs saving."

   "This is a private meeting I'm going to have to ask you to leave," Marcos told her.

   "Please I'm a telepath I can help with security, and I need to save my family."

   "Marcos let her stay we need all the help we can get right now."

   "Lorna."

   "Marcos."

   He sighed and I knew he agreed to what I said. So he nodded his head and she stood with us waiting for the plan to be spoken I guessed. When we asked what happened with Clarice's foster home, it broke my heart hearing what she found when she got there. No one should lose family like that and I wanted to help her get through it.

Marcos POV

   I didn't trust Esme really and from Johns look he didn't either. She seemed to pop up whenever something Mayer was going to happen and she wanted part in it. I couldn't just solo her out like that so I agreed for her to help, plus it's good to have extra hands. I couldn't believe the sentinels took those kids and killed the parents. I was going to help Clarice, because she is part of our family now and we protect our own.

   "Otto can you explain to everyone who wasn't there what you told us."

   "Sure Marcos."

   And he explained about his relationship with the kids and how he was a mutant. The others didn't seem to believe him and he agreed to show them a bit of his power. He stood in front of us and slowly brought his hands towards each other but not quite touching. What I saw next amazed me completely he made a huge ball of energy that resembled the sun. We all stood amazed until he stopped it from being released.

   "It's a powerful gift that brings destruction, so I rather not use it unless I have too."

   "Awesome." I heard from Andy.

   "Anyways he can find out the new location of Trask and help us penetrate through the security."

   "So we do this now," Esme spoke up.

   "No we wait until we have all the information we need and a plan."

   "We need to help those mutants now."

   "And I said we need a plan, your new and frankly you don't have a say in this decision."

   "Marcos.."

   "No, now everybody rest up, we have work to do tomorrow."

   Lauren, Andy, Skylar, John and Otto left together, probably to show him around and where he'll be sleeping. Esme stormed off going who knows where and it was only Clarice, Lorna and I left. We approached Clarice and brought her into a group hug. We offered to take her with us to our room to hang out and talk. She agreed saying she doesn't want to be alone, and how she can now feel James. I wasn't sure what tomorrow would bring, but I knew how lives were going to become more hectic.