Jean x dying!Reader - Kyojin

Jean was in the infirmary praying for a miracle as you laid on the bed still. He blamed himself for being stupid and not protecting his partner in one of the most dangerous situations he'd been through in his whole career.

A few days before..

"Your next case," Erwin Smith, the head of the police squad, spoke to Jean, "is to investigate the group called Kyojin. They've been running around the city and causing trouble. We presume that they are the cause of the murders around and they must be stopped."

"Yes sir." Jean placed his right fist over his heart.

"Do not engage with this group, your only goal is to find more information, we are not yet ready to initiate any plans against them as we are now. So whatever you do, do not make any contact or be seen by them." Erwin stated one last time as Jean took the files from his desk and left.

"Kyojin.." You muttered to yourself as you scrolled down the news site. "They're pretty famous now aren't they, Jean?" You heard him come into the room as you sat up straight.

"Yeah, they sure are.." He sat down and plopped the folder on the desk.

"Do we have a new case?" You heard Armin from across the room.

"Yes.." Jean studied the report closely and made a face. "We are going to investigate the group called Kyojin."

"And I was just looking into them too.." You rubbed your chin as you glanced at your computer screen.

"There are some precautions I have to go over with you all first. And I still have to think about what I want to do.." Jean looked intently at the papers.

"That's our squad leader Jean for you.." You heard Sasha say from beside you.

"When you're ready, we are ready." You assured Jean.

They next day, Jean came to work and laid out his plan for all of you. Each of you had your own role in this plan. "Since we do not know the whereabouts of Kyojin, each of you will investigate these surrounding areas where there have been reports. Move in groups of twos and don't get caught. Do not come into contact with anyone who looks suspicious at all no matter what. This task does not require any attack so you all should return with your lives." Jean looked at each of you. "Got it?"

"Yes sir." You all yelled in unison.

"Good. Sasha, you go with Connie. Armin will move with Marco. And I will go with _______. You will all end investigations at 2pm today and come back here. That is all. You are dismissed."

Each team moved quickly and headed for their destination as you and Jean did with yours. The two of you arrived at dead end street with a beat up home.

"So this is a point of suspicion?" You asked Jean as you stepped out from the car.

"Seems so.." He looked at the small house.

"That's weird.. I wouldn't think anyone would use a house as a base.." You stepped onto the curb and waked towards the house.

"The neighbors felt uneasy and are moving. They've been reporting some suspicious activity and people coming to and from here.." Jean spoke as he stood next to you.

"Is that so.." You turned your attention to the sign in front of the neighboring home. "Do you think we should look further into the house?"

Jean was still looking at the small building and shook his head, "No, we don't have a warrant."

"Oh.. alright."

"I did arrange for an interview with the neighbors though, let's get going." Jean went ahead of you towards the other house.