Chapter 21 ~ The Start of Something Horrible

I made my way to the Ministry of Magic, pacing myself. I was not a total wreck by the time I got there. I was still feeling very anxious about what was going on. This was the last thing I wanted to deal with, especially now while I had other problems, like my husband.

It was like being seventeen all over again. I didn't ask for this shit again.

I entered the middle elevator and pressed the button that would take me to the floor Hermione's office was on, the doors closing and immediately taking off. As I was moving, I felt myself getting more sweaty by the second. My heart was racing, feeling like it was about to beat out of my chest. I tried to slow my breathing down, but it didn't help, not one bit.

Too focused with my thoughts, I didn't even realize that I had reached my destination. In fact, I didn't even hear that little voice in the elevator announce where I was at. So I stepped off and headed for Hermione's office. When I got there, she ran my way and gave me a tight hug.

"Max, I heard what happened!" she cried. "Ginny sent me a Patronus. I have no idea how you feel right now. Oh, I'm so sorry..."

"It's okay," I assured her. "I just need some time to think right now."

She nodded her head and went over to her desk as I leaned against the wall, closing my eyes. We stayed silent for a few hours, when the sun was finally rising.

Finally, after being quiet for so long, Hermione huffed a sigh, making me open my eyes. "I can't believe this is all happening again. I thought we were done with Voldemort for good. Why can't we just live normal lives?"

"We're not normal, that's why," I replied, trying to lighten the mood.

Hermione gave me a soft smile. "I suppose you're right. It sounds nice, though, doesn't it? Being normal, I mean."

"It sounds overrated," Ron said from behind me, a grin on his face while holding a bowl of porridge. "Are you okay, Max? I heard what happened to you and Harry. It's crazy, isn't it? You'd think we put all of this Voldemort business behind us now."

"Just like old times," I added. "Those were the good days."

Ron scoffed. "If you say so."

So the three of us waited in Hermione's office for Harry and Ginny to show up with some news. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be good news. We were all hopeful, but most likely Harry and Ginny would tell us the last thing we wanted to hear.

"I'm so glad our kids behave, Hermione," Ron stated. "We raised them well, haven't we?"

I shot Ron a glare. "Do you even have a filter?" I asked him, sitting down in a chair.

"I think we all know I never had that," he responded.

"Oh, believe me, we knew," Hermione muttered.

Ron huffed a sigh and looked at his wife, chucking. "You know..." Ron sat down on Hermione's desk, eating some porridge. "I can't get over it."

"Get over what?" Hermione asked.

"The fact that in some realities we aren't married."

She rolled her eyes. "Look, we don't have much time to talk about this--"

"I mean, we've been together for so long and married for so long--"

"If this is your way of saying you want a marital break, Ron, then, to be clear, I will skewer you with this quill." She realized what she said and looked at me with an apologetic look. "Sorry, Max."

"Wait, you know? I never even told you."

"No, but Harry did."

"Know what?" Ron spoke up, confused.